ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Chorus/Flange before or after delay?

10/25/2000 2:58 PM
Matt
email
Chorus/Flange before or after delay?
I've seen on some stompbox sites that the "rule-of-thumb" is to put the chorus/flange before the delay/echo in a guitar signal chain. Follow my reasoning here and then please tell me why I'm wrong.  

You play a note that goes through a chorus/flange first and then a delay/echo second. The chorus applies it's "constantly-sweeping modulation" to the note and then this note goes on to the delay. In the delay, the original note is heard then the echoed notes will follow. All of these echoed notes will be heard with the same "chorus-modulated" sound as the original note (in other words "at the same sweep-point of the chorus when the original note was played"). Any new notes played on top of these echoed notes will be at a different sweep-point in the chorus/flange which would seem to be undesirable. Remember the chorus/flange is constantly sweeping at a certain rate.  

If you play a note that goes through the delay/echo first and the chorus/flange second, the chorus/flange simply modulates the original notes and echoed notes as they come through. You wouldn't have new notes and echoed notes being heard simultaneously but at different sweep-points like before. So it would seem that it would be better to put the chorus/flange after the delay/echo. Now, where did my reasoning go wrong? Did I explain my reasoning clearly?

10/25/2000 7:00 PM
Mark Hammer
email

You explained yourself just fine. And your understanding is accurate.  

The preference for one over the other would depend on what you want to be prominent. Delay before modulation effect will tend to make the modulation effect be more prominent than the delay repeats. In the opposite order, the repetition aspect will stick out more.  

If you want something that is a bit of a mix of both, use a "stereo" delay unit (separate dry and wet outputs). Run the dry output to a modulation device and feed that to one amp input. Run the delay output straight to another amp input. This gives you a clean delay repeat mixed in with an effected signal. Much more comfortable on the ears, and gives you the best of bothe worlds if you can feed these signals to separate pre-amp channels with separate volume controls.

Page 1 of 1