ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

new guitar advice.....am I getting shafted?

10/6/2000 2:33 AM
Gord
email
new guitar advice.....am I getting shafted?
Hi,  

I thought that a Fender California Strat with a fresh set of Fralin pickups would do the trick nicely. These guitars have nice necks and alder bodies. Check out their harmony-central.com reviews.  

My question? We went to a guitar store and a lot of the Fender guitars there didn't have stickers on them, indicating the model. The guy that works there showed us two guitars, supposedly California Strats (which BTW have been out of production for a while). They had everything we expected from these guitars:  

-'62 style tuners  
-gold logo  
-seemingly alder body visible through sunburst finish  
-21 frets  
-staggered pickup pole pieces  
-skunk stripe on back of neck  

What caught me though was that it said "Made in Mexico" on the back of the headstock. Shouldn't it instead have said "Made in USA" on the front of the headstock? How can I tell what model this guitar is, without worrying whether I'm getting shafted or not? Would the serial number help me out? It is MN669798. I thought that the serial numbers for the California Strat guitars started with AMXN.......  

I smell something fishy here, so any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks  

Gord

10/6/2000 2:37 AM
Winnie Thomas
email

Gord,  

To my knowledge, the California Strats were made in both California and Mexico, being painted in Mexico. I'm not sure where the final point of assembly was. You could send an inquiry off to Fender.  

Winnie  

PS, If you like it and the way it sounds, who cares where it was made.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/6/2000 2:59 AM
Gord
email

quote:
"If you like it and the way it sounds, who cares where it was made."

True, but if it isn't what they say it is, maybe it's hot hot hot. I don't want to buy a guitar from a liar.  

Gord

10/6/2000 3:37 AM
rmike
email

Gord:  

Yeah, I would not necessarily trust that salesmen. I'm fairly cerain that (like you said) California strats had "Made in USA" on the headstock, not Made in Mexico.  

Not that it necessarily matters-except for price. I wouldn't pay California strat price for a Standard strat. The salesman could knowingly or unknowingly be representing those Standard strats as California strats.  

mike

10/6/2000 3:58 AM
friday
email

What was the price?  
Some of the Mexican Fender stuff is as good as anything!

10/6/2000 11:48 PM
MLB
If it is a Mexican Strat it is probably not alder, it is most likely made of poplar. If it is alder it is veneer, if it is a sunburst. The thing is if the price is right who cares? If it plays and sounds good why does it make a difference? You can buy Fenders at a good price from lots of places (Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, etc...) Shop around and I think you can get a good deal and not get "shaffed"!

10/7/2000 3:43 PM
Gus
email

Gord I would go the the fender forum and ask, Fender checks the site. http://www.fenderforum.com

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>