ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Getting a guitar tech / amp tech job

4/25/2000 9:24 PM
MikeZ
email
Getting a guitar tech / amp tech job
I'm in the market for a summer job right now and I wanted to know how to "break in" to the business of guitar/amp repair. I have a fair amount of experience in both areas - but don't know where to start as far as getting a job. Any ideas on how to best approach people about this, cause these jobs seem to be filled through connections. Thanks! (by the way, im in the Boston area...)

4/25/2000 11:56 PM
Don Symes
email

Go, introduce yourself (to mgr and techs), get acquainted, talk, ask if there's a service backlog.  

Concentrate on the smaller shops (the non-chain ones).  

Talk to the techs. Offer to show off your chops on some of the backlog, if any, by way of interview (free - once). Only talk about per-job rates, not hourly.  

Be willing to work multiple shops, on call.  
Consider talking to some of the older non-chain pawn shops, too.  

Persist, be polite, leave cards.  

Own tools (at least basic hand tools, iron & meter).  

Best of luck!

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/26/2000 12:03 AM
Don Symes
email

Almost forgot!  

Ask for referrals, contacts, ideas.  

I'm probably not serious about this next bit, but...  

Assuming you're of legal age, consider showing up at the clubs that offer live entertainment about time for load-in and setup.  

Offer to help, suck up a little (JUST a little), have your tools in case something breaks - nothing helps a rep like saving the day.

4/27/2000 9:47 PM
Jeff S.
email

Mike,  

Last summer I too was looking to get a job doing repairs. I may just have good luck, but all I did was walk into my local music store, and I asked to talk to the boss man(those weren't my exact words, obviously :)). I told him what I've I done and what I know and asked if he had anything for me. He had me do a couple of trial repairs on the spot--cake walk: 1st-guitar's hot broke of the output jack (<5min to fix); 2nd-Peavy rage with a broken trace to the input (~15 min.); after that he was impressed, so he gave me the guitar that no one else could figure out (the owner had installed a mega-swith & all of the wires were frayed and shorting out). When I fixed the "unrepairable guitar", as he put it, in less than a half hour he offered me a job. I got paid $10 and hour (cash, off the books) and made my own hours--he just called me up to tell what repairs he needed me to do and I went in at my leisure. Great job, I'll be going back in a couple of days to get some work for this summer. Like I said, though, I may have just gotten lucky. Anyhow, good luck.  

Jeff S

5/1/2000 4:07 AM
Carlo
email

My local music store has an amp tech that goes on the road teching for some of the big boys. When he's gone i pick up the slack. I got lucky - one of the guys that works at the store knew of me and what i was doing so they called me when their regular tech went on tour. I do think knowing people opens up doors, so that's exactly what i would do - get to know people. Once the door's open, if you do timely, quality work, they'll keep calling. As an added benefit, you get introduced to more people in the biz that may be able to help you in your persuits.  

Carlo

Page 1 of 1