ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Traynor trade ?

3/4/2000 4:47 AM
M/J
email
Traynor trade ?

I have a guy that wants to trade a 1973 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster for my 66 Bassman.  

1) My first question is does the Traynor sound like a plexi?  

2) My second question is what is the going rate for these amps? Other than the pic he sent I have never seen one much less heard one.  

3) Should I decide to trade are there any mods that can be recommended to get the plexi sound I desire?  

4) And last what is the wattage on this amp? TIA  

M/J

3/4/2000 7:34 AM
bill
email

OK--your Bassman can be a great amp,and it's value is i believe 2-3 X the Traynor,(with 2x12 cabinet)the Traynor is also a fine Marshall-ish amp,by reputation.at any rate, if you're just trading amp heads,you should get some cash--(maybe $50-100)if you've got the 2x12 along w/ the head,you need $300-400 in the trade.note:i have and will keep my '66-67 Bassman w/ 2x12,but i've had it blackfaced and tweaked--i've not played a Traynor.(want to)good luck, bill

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/4/2000 8:12 AM
rebel420
email

either amp can be modded to sound like a plexi, well close enough to a plexi for most tastes...you'd have enough holes as to not have to drill anything with the fender, but do you want to hack at it is up to you

3/4/2000 9:25 AM
D.L.
email

Yes, a 66 bassman head is technically more "valuable" than the traynor but the traynor is closer to being marshall-like than the bassman as well as capable of being stronger, louder, in my opinion more durable than either a 66bassman or your typical 50 watt marshall. I like to flip the YBA 1 upside down, take the cloth covered wood front out and replace it with a tasteful better breathing metal mesh, do the usual R+R with PS caps etc. and rock out! Some of these amps are quite clean and loud and some are grindier but one can fine tune them to ones taste....As to "plexi" well I think people are being far too cavalier with the word these days, I use a '70 small box 50 watt marshall and I'd say it sounds like a hand wired early JMP-(my personal favorite for rocknroll and punk) Marshall made a number of changes (voltages and such) as well as fifferent wattages thru the plexi years so I dont think theres one sound that means plexi... sorry bout the length of this..

3/4/2000 9:39 AM
T.B.
email

Hi M/J,  

I'd keep the Bassman and then look around to buy a Bassmaster later. I would think the Bassman is worth considerably more than the Traynor. If you do trade, then some extra cash should come your way.  

I have a YBA-1 with two EL34's, bought it for $25 about three years ago at a music store cause it didn't work. Got it to work in no time at all. It's virtually identical to the Plexi type amp. It has the cathode follower stage like the plexi. Seems there are three varieties of YBA-1's. Each one's circuit is a little different. Check the Traynor site for schematics.  

My amp is about 50 watts, has a lot of punch. I've been using the amp to tweak all aspects of the tone chain as a learning platform. It's the easiest amp to work on next to a Champ. All p-p wiring, plenty of room, good strong trannies. Wish I had a dozen of them.  

Hope this helps, if you need further info, just holler. T.B.

3/4/2000 12:34 PM
M/J
email

I have e-mailed him for a tube compliment to find out which one he has. Also he says that there is a hammond tranny in there. Is that stock or a replacement? He also claims that the circuit is plexi thru and thru with lots of room to work. TIA  

M/J

3/4/2000 1:14 PM
Winnie Thomas
email

M/J  

They were made in Canada. Hammond Transformers are also made in Canada. Traynor used Hammond transformers.  

I would buy the Traynor outright and keep both. The Fender is more valuable than the Traynor  

Here's a link to Traynor schematics for you:  

http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/traynor.html  

Traynors are very nice. But so are Fenders.  

Winnie

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>