ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Full wave bridge rectifier: easy way to lower B+

2/24/2000 8:48 PM
Carlos Full wave bridge rectifier: easy way to lower B+
Hi!  

My plexi clone has got a full wave bridge rectifier. Is there an easy and cheap way to lower B+?  

Regards  

Carlos

2/24/2000 11:07 PM
Bruce
email

How far do you need to drop the B+?  
A few 9.1v to 12v 5W zener diodes installed between the grounded part of the FWB rectifer will drop the over all B+ down.  
Bruce

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/25/2000 11:42 AM
GFR
email

I don't know how much you want to lower it so...  

Look at the Fender "the twin" (red knob) amp schematic on Steve Ahola's site.  

You just need a DPDT switch and a couple of resistors. Easy and cheap. With this circuit you lower B+ to HALF (giving you 1/4 of the output power).  

If you don't need something so radical, both Randall Aiken and RG have circuits for lowering B+ on their sites. You'll need a zener, a transistor (bipolar or MOSFET), a couple of resistors and problably a heatsink for the transistor.

2/25/2000 3:44 PM
Carlos
I'd like to lower it from about 430V to 380V. Randall wrote to me that his circuit doesn't work for a bridge rectifier.  

CU  

Carlos

2/25/2000 6:43 PM
Bruce
email

I don't know what "his circuit" means, but if you mean the 2N3055 and zener, I can't tell you 'cause I never tried it with a FWB.  
The thing does work with a FW rectifier however.  
Bruce  

2/25/2000 9:24 PM
Carl B. Maybe this might work. What do you Think, Guys?
Guys,  

Could you comment on the following?  

The way to drop that voltage without wasting power might be with a stiff cap or inductor between the "top" HV winding and the bridge.  

The choke or the cap wouldn't waste (much) power since neither has not much in the way of relavent resistance loss.  

The cap would have to be non-polarized (not a problem, just use two caps back-to-back with positives pointing out).  

Since the line frequency won't change (unless he goes to europe), the ratio of the Xl of the PT secondary to the Xc or Xl of the in-series element would be fixed.  

Aside from introducing more "sag," are there other implications to this approach? (I was just thinking, with an in-series cap you might have to watch the values for an unintended *boost* at Fzero! Haven't thought this all the way through.)  

- Carl B.

Page 1 of 1