ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Weird question!PP with single valve?

1/11/2000 10:08 PM
Max
email
Weird question!PP with single valve?
Hi again.  

I was wondering if it was possible to make a push pull with a single output valve?  

with a transformer with primary windings seeing different reflected load?  
Anyway best regards.  
Max.

1/11/2000 10:29 PM
jp
email

Well, if you only need a little power, say to power headphones, you can set up a dual triode (eg 12ax7) in push pull. I believe this is what on-board Fender reverbs do before the reverb drive transformer (no schems on hand to confirm this). A reverb transformer would make a fairly good OT for this application, and quite a few are 8 ohm rated.  

You might have seen the Gerlitz amp in GP a while back that uses a similar scheme with industrial grade 12AU7's to simulate powerstages for Marshall and Fenderish preamp stages in front of a solidstate power amp. Their verdict was that this didn't offer the same sort of output stage coloration as an EL-34 or 6L6, not surprisingly.  

I realize it's not quite what you were asking for, but maybe of some use.  

j.p.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/11/2000 11:33 PM
Randall Aiken
email

The Svetlana 6N1P dual triode is ideal for this purpose because it has a 2.2W dissipation per triode and a 4.4K Rp. It should be happy with a 17K or lower plate-to-plate load in push-pull.  

BTW, standard reverb trannies can't be used because they are single-ended, and have no center-tap. The Hammond 125D or 125E "universal" output transformers would be an excellent choice for this application.  

Randall Aiken

1/12/2000 3:19 PM
jp
email

Naturally, I go home and look at a schematic for a fender reverb amp and it's a single ended design. Gotta get my head out of tweeds some times. So reverb transformers are ought. But the 3 watt Hammond 125 series ought to be sufficient for using a twin triode, and they're fairly cheap for the quality.  

j.p.  

1/13/2000 8:49 PM
Brian
email

jp;  

onboard Fender Reverbs use a 12AT7 in parallel, not push pull. The plates, grids and cathodes are all connected together. This allows for more oomph thought the reverb trannie.  

Brian

1/11/2000 10:58 PM
Marc
email

Max:  
Stephen Delft's moonlight amp is a good example of the single tube PP amp....I forget where the schematic is. Here or Steve Ahola's site...  

Marc

1/11/2000 11:13 PM
Don Symes
email

Check the AX84 forum for Delft's moonlight project. The fender reverb circuits I've seen use a single-ended OT, sometimes with two triodes in parallel ... so that xfmr won't work as a PP output.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>