ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

crate vc5112 schematic

1/10/2000 7:12 PM
mike Santangelo
email
crate vc5112 schematic
does anyone have a schematic for the Crate  
vc5112. It is a 50 watt combo with a 12" spkr  
and has 4 12ax7, 4 el84's. I m trying to find how to mod this amp with a variable resistor for a bias adjustment. presently, the amp has no adjustment. I think it is a fixed bias amp. Can anyone help me oput or direct me.  
thanks, Happy new year.

1/10/2000 7:57 PM
Rob W.
email

Mike-  

The design of the Vintage Club (i am assuming that this is the fixed bias version) does not allow for the bias voltage to be varied. You would have to derive bias voltage in a different manner in order to vary it. i.e. create a new bias circuit off of the B+...  

I worked on one of these for a friend about a month ago, and i was desperately trying to get the bias adjusted differently, but to no luck. Fianally fellow ampagers set me straight as to how this circuit functions.  

Unless you want to spend a lot of time messing around with things... I would leave the baby stock and get a fan and blow it into the back of this baby... (the power tubes are being run at about 110%-115% of their rating, i think that my friends ran the EL84's at 375V on the plate, and about 38mA per tube...This cooks them pretty well...(Inspiration to keep this baby stocked with fresh power tubes..))  

*end of rant*  
Have Fun!  
Rob W.  

Ps.. I think i still have the posts around from my discussion about this amp... Lemme know by email if you would like me to look for them...

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/10/2000 9:14 PM
mike Santangelo
email

Thanks Rob. I did not know that this amp was difficult to mod. You saved me probably big $$$ and lots of hours or months.  
Anyway, I would love any other info or files you have about the 5112 crate. Thanks again for your expeditious  
return email!  
mIKE...

1/10/2000 9:22 PM
todd
email

....i am looking for all of the info i can find about these amps as well, please send any info you have regarding these amps to me please. as it is VERY HARD to find any info at all about these amps, also if you have a schematic that would be cool too (look at my post below for crate VC5115)  

thanks!!!  

todd

1/10/2000 10:24 PM
Rob W.
email

Here are some schematics that I was able to find...  
*all thanks to Steve Ahola!!!!! ;-)*  
http://www.techaccessinc.com/blueguitar/3112pre.gif  
http://www.techaccessinc.com/blueguitar/3112pow.gif  

These are for the cathode-biased version... All of these amps are built on the same board except for the biasing circuit/configuration which changes with model...  

Plus this is something that Ken Gilbert (who normally posts on ampage)suggested doing for a variable bias circuit.  

Here is what he said:  
"I would say your best bet here is to capacitively couple to the B+winding, and derive a bias voltage from that. Just use a cap toattach to the raw secondary for the high voltage winding, and be sure it can withstand the peak - bias voltage plus the peak +secondary swing.  

There are other amp schems out there that cap couple to the hv winding--Marshalls, which usually use FWDB recs, have them, as well as some Ampegs. This will get you all the - voltage you need. -KG "  

I would suggest looking at some of these circuits, marshall, ampeg, etc.. to find a way of doing this off of the high voltage winding..  

Hope this helps!  
Rob W. :-)  

Page 1 of 1