ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

deluxe reverb reissue problems

12/27/1999 6:27 PM
Rob P
email
deluxe reverb reissue problems
Help,  

my three year old daughter turned on my dr reissue when I wasn't around. It was on for close to a week! I noticed it when I smelled something electrical. The amp still works but boy does it make alot of noise! Both channels hiss something awful!  

Forgive the ignorance, but you guys seem to know what you're talking about, so I'll ask: have i destroyed the tubes? if so, which ones? all of them? could it be something else? if it's the tubes, can i change them myself? maybe i should change them one by one, but which to start with?  

If she weren't so damn cute i'd have traded her for a new amp! Thanks for any help and sorry about the lack of 1) technical knowledge and 2) a cooler amp.  

rob

12/28/1999 7:03 PM
Gil Ayan
email

Rob, while it is possible that you may have fried the tubes, the only way to tell is to replace one by one and see if there's any changes... If you turn the lights out, you can check whether the power tubes' plates are glowing red (they will look like embers).  

But, if the amp was subjected to a lot of heat, components may have cooked too. Primary candidates for this, IMHO, would be the plated load resistors (all the 100K resistors) in the preamp section, and perhaps the power supply dropping caps as well.  

I fear you have some component damage, otherwise you wouldn't be smelling anything funky.  

As if the resistor scenario weren't bad enough, a fou; smell may be indicative of a leaking electrolytic cap.  

Advice? Take the amp to a repair shop and cross your fingers -- unless you know how to work on amps, in which case, I would say start at the power supply and work your way down.  

Gil

Page 1 of 1