ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tube amps

11/5/1999 9:11 PM
Mike O
email
Tube amps
Is there a certain amount of noise associated with tube amps? I just had some work done on an old Fender ampthat I've had for about 30 years. The amp has good sound but stil has a slight continuous buzzing not real loud but audible.Is this normal or should I call the tech and ? it.I won't metion his name but, he is probably the best in my area  

Thanks,  
Mike O

11/5/1999 9:15 PM
Mook
email

Some buzz and hiss is normal. Some are worse than others.  

Lead dress helps, but won't always solve the hiss/buzz problem.  

Other items that are suspect are microphonic/noisey tubes, resistors, scratchy pots, leakey caps, etc.  

Mook  

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/5/1999 9:44 PM
Mike O
email

All of the things you mention were checked out.  
Some plate resistors were replaced,pots cleaned  
tube sockets cleaned and the bias was set.Maybe  
I'm expecting to much for an amp that cost me 250  
bucks over 30 years ago and are fetching 700 to 1400  
dollars today. Thanks for your comments.  

Mike O

11/5/1999 10:16 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email

Mike,  
Is this amp a silverface Fender? If it has the bias balance pot instead of the standard neg. voltage bias adjustment....you will be hard pressed to ever get rid of the hum from the power tubes until you convert it back to blackface specs..........the way Leo Fender designed it!  

Bruce C. has a cool way of coverting it to get the best of both worlds.......bias adjust and hum balance!  

Benjamin

11/5/1999 10:32 PM
Mike O
email

Yes the amp is a SFSR with an AB763 chassis.this amp  
was in the very early stages of the SF era and I've  
been told there is not much difference if any.

11/5/1999 10:35 PM
Marc
email

Ben:  
OK I'll bite.  
Have you got a diagram of this set up? A description would be OK too. I've got one of those tapped balance pots that I'd like to do that to, or I'll just set up two separate bias pots. I haven't decided, yet  

Bruce C. has a cool way of coverting it to get the  
best of both worlds.......bias adjust and hum  
balance!  
Thanks  
Marc

11/5/1999 11:02 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email

Marc,  
Here is a link to some great info on blackface vs. silverface Fenders courtesy of Andy at Machine gun amps.  
http://www.sonic-data.com/~andy/mga/main/bf_vs_sf.htm  
Read all this documentation and then look at any comparable blackface fender amp schematic to convert the neg. bias supply.  
Bruce will have to jump in and refresh us on his mod.....can't quite remember the specifics.  

This should get you started.  

Benjamin.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>