ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

6v6 and El84

10/22/1999 4:03 AM
Eric
email
6v6 and El84
I am curious as to any input on an amplifier that I am going to be building, it is going to be based on the ac-30 power amplifier, but instead of 4 el84's it will use two el84s and two 6v6's, I know that I have to have one 6v6 and el84 on the pull side and another pair on the other as well as two bias setups for each, my real question is have any of you guys done this or have any clue as to the "sound" this might achieve, my goal is to be able to get the two "breaking up" characteristics of both the el84 and 6v6, you know the nice hard crunch and sweet tone of the other. the reason for the combo is b/c the similar ratings of the tubes. thanks  

10/22/1999 8:41 AM
dave
email

Mesa Boogie has a very nice sounding amp called  
"blue angel. It has 4Xel84 & 2X6v6. As for the  
tech side there are some extremely smart fellers  
that frequent this page...

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/22/1999 1:57 PM
Mark Buckingham
email

Disclaimer: please note that what I'm about to say may be completely wrong :-)  

I think that the 6v6 and el84 have different drive requirements, which may be good or bad depending how you look at it.  

I would think the el84's would distort earlier than the 6v6's. This might actually sound kind of cool, maybe something like running a distorted amp and a cleaner one at the same time.

10/22/1999 10:19 PM
tboy
email

It might be interesting to set the two different pairs up with separate drive circuitry; then a "balance" control could be added upstream to adjust the drive proportion for each pair.  

--tboy

10/22/1999 10:50 PM
Eric
email

by different drive requirements, i assume you are talking about the phase inverter? so should i build two separate power amps ie two phase inverteres one for el84 one for 6v6. and tie it in to the master volume on the preamp. this being with a balance control for each level on the individual power amplifier sides. Can i still use one output transformer with the two phase inverters? I think i can but am not sure, i have an xformer for quad 6v6, from a hammond tone cabinet that i was going to use, i like the idea of a balance control though  
thanks

10/23/1999 2:06 AM
Mark Buckingham
I would think you could use one phase inverter. The difference between the el84's and 6v6's is going to be that you will want to put more resistance between the phase inverter section and the grids of the el84's than the 6v6's.  

(Actually, I like tboy's idea above...)

10/23/1999 3:51 AM
Paul C
email

Well - I thought I had a trick here, but you guys are close so I'll give it away. I've got an amp that runs off a pair of each, and I use the pwr amp MV circuit where you replace the grid leaks of the tubes with a dual pot. Each set of tubes has it's own dual pot, so you end up with a 6V6MV and a EL84MV. Very cool way to give you any combination you want.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>