ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

VINTAGE TRANS. QUES.

9/14/1999 5:02 AM
tom VINTAGE TRANS. QUES.
In Gerald Weber's book he says that when fender quit making the tweed amps and switched to the piggy back design, they changed to schumacher transformers and they are not interleaved.Is this true?Question #2-Is interleaved the same as bifilar wound?

9/14/1999 12:49 PM
SpeedRacer
email

I don't know what he considers "interleaved", but I haven't seen a professional size tranny (yet) that isn't.. They may have *changed* the interleave (this is likely). Basically if you wind the whole primary and then wind the whole secondary, you have what's called a "layer wound" transformer. I think anything fancier than this qualifies as interleaved (where you mix the sections, P/S/P/S/P etc)  

Depending on *how* you interleave, it can make the transformer more complicated to build ($). I'm of the opinion that the interleave has a lot to do with the tone of the transformer; eg you can wind a 4K:8-ohm transformer a bunch of different ways and how you do that makes all the difference.  

Bifilar refers to using 2 wires in parallel in a winding and is a different thing than interleaving.  

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/14/1999 1:03 PM
Graywater
email

Speedo,  

Am not sure I'm correct in this instance but when I hear "interleaved" in reference to a tranny I immediatly think of the interleaved plates in the core of the tranny to limit hysteresis (sp?) loss/heating. My $2/100.  

GW

9/14/1999 1:05 PM
R.G.
email

While the laminations are indeed interleaved (and interleaving 1:1 has different effects than interleaving 4:4 or some other numbers, by the way) the windings are also interleaved in quality transformers.

9/14/1999 1:33 PM
SpeedRacer
email

They do interleave the laminations as well but i think GW is talking about the windings (I think..). The big Marhslals & Fenders seem to interleave their laminations in pairs.

9/14/1999 1:03 PM
R.G.
email

quote:
" I'm of the opinion that the interleave has a lot to do with the tone of the transformer; eg you can wind a 4K:8-ohm transformer a bunch of different ways and how you do that makes all the difference. "

You can change that from "opinion" to "fact". The interleave dramatically changes the leakage inductance between primary and secondary, and half-primaries to secondary. These have a measurable and calculable effect on frequency response, as well as little things like how severe any crossover notch and/or glitch when one tube turns off in an AB biased amp.

9/14/1999 1:14 PM
dave r.
email

I'm considering a transformer for my next home brew project...  

Can anyone tell me current manufactured OT's that are interleavened? The project will have a push-pull EL34 cathode biased output.  

Dave R.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>