ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Modding Blues DeVille to a Hotrod Deville

8/27/1999 4:18 AM
Scott
email
Modding Blues DeVille to a Hotrod Deville
Can a Fender Blues DeVille be modded to a Hotrod DeVille? I'm looking to get more gain from the Blues DeVille...any suggestions?

8/27/1999 8:23 AM
Steve A.
email

Scott:  

I've got the schematics for both of them on my site:  

http://www.techaccessinc.com/blueguitar/  

Why don't you try it out and let us know how it worked?  

Steve Ahola

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/27/1999 1:29 PM
Gus
I think a gain petal would be a better fix

8/27/1999 2:14 PM
Paul
email

Yes you can mod your amp to Hot Rod specs. If you like the NO tone, almost high gain of the Hot Rod Deville, go ahead. After spending many hours retracking the PCB, repairing damage (it will happen) to the PCB you may be happy. I do warranty repairs for Fender products and have worked on many Deluxes, Devilles and hot rod updates. If you don't like what you have, buy what you want. While you spend hours, days, weeks, months stuffing around with your amp (if this is your only amp) you won't be playing your guitar through the amp. The bottom line is guitars and amps are for producing music. This seems to get lost in the quest to rewire the amp for the 1000th time. If you have the time, knowledge and money go ahead. Why turn an almost OK amp into a les than ok sounding amp. Ever thought of an Soldano, gain to burn but again where is the tone. Try a pedal as stated in an earlier reply. Cheaper, better results.  

Paul.

8/27/1999 5:06 PM
Ken
Gee, I don't know, Paul...  

Some folks--hell MANY folks--think Soldanos have a pretty good tone.  

It _IS_ all about personal preference, right?  

~KG~

8/28/1999 6:05 AM
Steve A.
email

Paul:  

Just to play the devil's advocate, if no one ever tampered with the classic Fender designs from the 50's and 60's, perhaps we never would have seen Marshall, Mesa Boogie and Dumble amps... But I agree with you here, and other than maybe adding a Ck cap switch or mid-boost cap, it's probably best not to dig too deeply into mods on those amps. The saying about sow's ears and silk purses comes to mind, except that in the case of a blues deville and a hotrod deville, it would be sow's ears and another sow's ears... < g >  

Steve Ahola

8/28/1999 12:43 AM
Joe Movich
email

Scott,  

I have a Blues Deluxe, I changed the bright switch (which hardly added any highs) to switch in a cathode bypass capacitor on the second tube stage, basically like Fender's "Fat switch". This doesn't give a real lot of additional gain but it might be enough. You can tailor the response if you like by trying different value capacitors.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>