ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Cathode Bias on Matchless Amps

8/30/1999 1:25 PM
GazzerP Re: Cathode Bias on Matchless Amps
Does this book have an ISBN number ?

8/31/1999 3:13 AM
SpeedRacer
email

ISBN # 1-882580-03-6  

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/31/1999 3:52 PM
Doc
email

Hey Bruce, I like that "read between the lines" wording of yours. There are some places in this book I'm still trying to understand completely. There are also some things in this book that aren't shown anywhere else, in order that you might gain a more thorough understanding of why the Mullard engineers recommend certain things. For instance, the independent cathode resistor isn't thoroughly explained (compared to virtues of single common resistor). Also, where else have you seen the "low loading" option? This is a good book, and I'm glad I bought it, but in some places the "between the lines" stuff is rather extensive. I wish I had access to all the stuff that was left out of this rather abbreviated book.  

Doc

9/1/1999 3:50 AM
Bruce
email

When I frist got it, I took it right to the "library" so nobody would bother me.  

I went through it pretty fast too and thought this is way cool, but... wait a min where's the rest of this?  

I still look through it though and find things I missed.  

I've yet to fully understand everything in K. O'Conners books.  

Bruce

9/3/1999 2:42 PM
K. Gurley
email

Is the Mullard book still available? Where?

9/3/1999 5:31 PM
Doc
email

It might be available from AES (tubesandmore.com). They carry quite an assortment of books.  

It's from the Audio Amateur Press, the ones who offer Glass Audio, Speaker Builder, and Audio Electronics magazines. You can get it from them directly.

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 3