ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Help me on osciloscope usage, please

6/14/2000 12:40 AM
JC
email
Help me on osciloscope usage, please
I'm planing (well, it's actually decided. Oh my God!) to get an osciloscope and a signal generator that an old friend is selling me cheap.  

Where could I find online info on breaking me into it's usage? Mainly, tube amp oriented info if possible, but some tips on using it for general repairing electronic equipment will also be appreciated.  

The basics... just to begin using it.  

Thank's a lot.  

JC

6/14/2000 2:23 AM
Rob B.
email

Go to www.tek.com or http://www.tek.com/Measurement/cgi-bin/framed.pl?Document=/Measurement/App_Notes/indexes/oscilloscopes.html&FrameSet=oscilloscopes  

for a free 32 page book on how to use an oscilloscope.  
Go to your local library and check out books on using oscilloscopes or how to repair electronics books with a chapter on how to use an oscilloscope. If your library doesn't have these books ask the librarian about interlibrary loans. If ILLs are not possible use the used book web sites to search for used books on oscilloscopes.  
Start experimenting with your scope. STAY AWAY from large voltages until you understand how the AC/DC modes work and the need to charge the blocking capacitor in the scope.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/14/2000 2:43 PM
anonymous
Well, I thought I knew how to use my scope - what's this about charging  
the blocking cap? I'm assuming this has something to do with the DC  
blocking cap for AC mode?

6/14/2000 9:38 PM
JC
email

Thank you, Rob.  

JC

Page 1 of 1