ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Just Bought a $100 Guitar

3/10/2000 12:18 AM
jc
email
Just Bought a $100 Guitar
I just bought a strat clone for $100 from my local music store.  

It's metalflake red, plywood body, kinda beat up. Potmetal chrome plated bridge saddles and tremelo block.  

Old Music Man tuners installed along with a graphite nut.  

Somebody obviously put some time and effort into setting this up.  

It plays much better and sounds about as good as my American Standard Strat.  

And the $100 included a gig bag.  

I bought it as a backup but I'm thinking about using as my #1. Just need to get a decal. It's already relicacized!  

Is my American Standard a lemon?  

jc  

3/10/2000 1:37 PM
Brad
email

JC,  

Whatever feels and sounds good to YOU is all that's important. Cheapos can be great. I have an old Univox HiFlyer that was given to me, and that thing plays as well, or better, than some of my Teles or Strats. Of course, it sounds a lot different, but that's the point. It'd be a pretty boring musical world if everybody had a Jimi Strat and nothing else. Have fun with your new toy...that's what it's all about anyway, right?  
BTW, if you think your AmStrat is a lemon, figure out what you don't like about it, and change it. Most any Fender can be made good....that's why Leo made all the parts so easy to change.  
Brad

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/10/2000 2:56 PM
Liam
email

If you spent some time on setting up your American Standard it'd be as good. I've found that by the time I've had a guitar 5 years it's been refretted with my favourite fretwire, I've got pickups that I like in it, and it plays and sounds the way I want it to. If not it will have been sold.  

Generally it's pretty rare that even expensive guitars are perfect out of the box, so sometimes a well set up s/h guitar (even a cheapy) is a pretty good bet.  

3/10/2000 3:03 PM
Mark Hammer
email

In the current Guitar Player, Walter Becker notes that he used to use the other bandmembers guitars for recording Steely Dan material, because they were so much better set up than his own.  

In many ways, setup is everything. It's certainly most of what accompanies "quality" instruments, apart from exotic construction materials. It's also part of what makes one player pick up a quality instrument, shake their head and mutter "You paid HOW much for THIS?". If it isn't set up how you need it and like it, then what's in your heart and mind just can't find its way to your fingers.

3/10/2000 7:12 PM
enorton
email

Hey Liam. do your mods include silver wire?  
(RADG)  
Running  
Away  
Ducking and  
Grining

3/11/2000 12:51 AM
jc
email

My god I looked inside my $100 guitars control  
cavity. All of the soldering was done with  
24 karat gold and all of the wiring was silver  
with teflon shielding. The switch was made of