ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Easy-on/off neck attachment?

10/7/1999 4:14 PM
Traveler Easy-on/off neck attachment?
I want to take my beater Ibanez and fix its bolt-on neck so it's easily removable/replaceable for air travel purposes. So far I've come up with:  

1) Drill through the neck mounting holes to the fingerboard (removing frets as necessary), then drilling and countersinking holes in the maple fingerboard/neck to insert flat-head machine screws; use bolts on the body side, and forget about those high frets - I seldom play that high.  

2) Same trick, but use T-nuts on the fingerboard side, and bolts on the body side; inset the nuts into the wood far enough to replace the frets over them, if this makes sense.  

3) Some kind of machined male/female joint to replace/augment the neck joint; the tension of the strings alone would be sufficient to hold the neck in place. (Precision wouldn't be necessary here; neck slot in body might suffice for alignment.)  

Any other concepts? Thanks in advance.

10/7/1999 4:32 PM
Doc
email

Why not just fit threaded inserts into the existing four holes on the neck heel (oversizing them to accept the OD of the new inserts, of course) and use threaded bolts in lieu of the wood screws to mount the neck to the body in the usual fashion.  

I can't see drilling through fingerboards and all that stuff.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/7/1999 5:26 PM
Traveler
Makes sense - but such a part is hard to find. I saw some threaded inserts offered for this exact purpose for $80.00; not worth it to me. Specialized woodworking supply houses? (thinking out loud)

10/8/1999 12:56 PM
MKB
email

If I recall, the pre-Samick Valley Arts had a one-screw neck attachment available. You could remove the neck with one quarter-turn of the screw with a coin. Larry Carlton has this attachment on his brown HSS Valley Arts Tele. I have no more info than this, maybe others can comment?

10/8/1999 3:06 PM
Dave Chun
email

If you're into doing things yourself you can make your own inserts with a tap. I found a long threaded rod at Canadian Tire, cut off sections, and drilled and tapped then appropriately for machine screws. A little involved, but it worked fine.  

I only went the above route after I couldn't find a tap with the right spacing for the inserts I had (got them at the Home Depot.) HD had about a dozen different threaded inserts, last time I checked. The standard wood type has too large a thread, but they also have self cutting ones for plastic (or wood) which have a smaller thread.  

A net search for "threaded inserts" will bring up a bunch o f different companies; try writing them for samples. I seem to remember finding a bunch of them on Yahoo that had technical specs and pictures on their site as well.  

Hope this helps.

10/11/1999 5:13 PM
Mike Burgundy
email

such a part is hard to find  

Really? I haven´t had problems with finding them at local hardware stores at all. Used them to fit a banjo´s neck to the body´s tension-rods. Big "wood-bolt" , threaded on the inside. Drill a hole, screw the thing in, done.  
Cheap, too. If you do not have any luck, try calling a few local carpenters or something. I really can´t imagine these things being impossible to find.

10/31/1999 6:34 PM
Ted Matsumura
email

Check this link out:  

http://www.stewartguitars.com/  

I've never tried one, but a strat in a briefcase sure looks interesting. For me, the cheap Hohner copy of the original Steinberger is hard to beat for travel.  

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>