ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Showman caps

8/6/2000 5:18 PM
Cliff
email
Showman caps
I recently picked up a '66 Showman-Amp, model AB763 circuit. The coupling caps are odd looking. Similar in size to "orange-drops", but I think they are the dreaded big ugly brown ones everybody says are no good.They are rated for 600vdc,+-10%,and in a small box are the letters "CDE". Anyone know anything about these? I'm gonna replace ALL of the electrolytics anyway, maybe these too ?!?! any help or info is appreciated... CR

8/7/2000 1:56 AM
Richie{~}==:::
email

CDE is Cornell Dubiler Ele. those are a good name brand cap..  
Richie

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/7/2000 4:11 AM
Bruce
email

If they are flat color brown with yellow lettering, they probably are they ones most guys think they hate, but, mostly because someone told them they are no good.  
If you replace ALL of them with O'drops, (I would), you probably will hear a slightly different amp but it will sound very very good too.  
Any modern polypropylene cap will sound good however, so don't get too hung up on O'drops only.  
The "dreaded" brown ones are more round and slightly shorter then an O'drop by the way.  

Bruce

8/7/2000 9:54 PM
Cliff
email

Hey guys...thanks for the input.The caps are big,SHINY brown, and I haven't fired her up yet... I have some new 6L6's on the way...someone ATTEMPTED to "mod" this amp a little...I cleaned house on the crappy wiring and replaced a few fried power resistors... but the rest of the amp looks totally stock...even has G.E. filter caps(they're trashed)- will see what she sounds like with the "CDE" caps and go from there... thanks again C.R.

Page 1 of 1