ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Crate vintage club 20 schematic.

6/12/2000 2:24 AM
pat
email
Crate vintage club 20 schematic.
Hi I just picked up a crate vintage 20 today. The input jack is broke.Anybody have any advice and schematic would help too. thanks pb.

7/11/2000 8:17 PM
Danny
email

i dont think you need a schematic to change the jack..... but if you find one please send it to me

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/11/2000 9:16 PM
Graywater
email

Folks,  

These plastic nightmares are "Cliff" jacks properly describing the drop off point for the designer. One of the very most common failure points for SLM products. If your amp is out of warranty, replace it with a metal Switchcraft type wired to the PCB. May take some work but I've done it before. Secondly, wire a jumper around the line in/out ahd headphone jacks if you've got 'em (have worked on many VC 30s and up but never a 20) - you can make the jumper where you can restore operation with a simple wire snipping. This way you get the poor jack switch contacts out of the signal path. I do SLM warranty and I've developed a "reliability kit" of modifications that I do for out of warranty amps or where the owner doesn't care about the warranty.  

GW

7/13/2000 5:18 PM
Dave Rich
email

Graywater, although I'm embarrassed to admit it in this crowd, I have a couple of VC30's and I really like them. Would you mind sharing your reccomendations, tips and tweaks?  

I have a schematic and I don't care about the warranty.  

Thanks  
Dave Rich

7/13/2000 11:48 PM
JaySG
email

I have a dim view of the gain structure on channel 2. For an overdrive tone, R59 can be paralleled with a 300k, without pulling the board.  

I deleted a triode on channel 2 and ran into dc blocking. The B+ is too low for what I had in mind.  

I built a pine cabinet for mine. I think I shaved close to 8 lbs off the thing. I put the controls face forward like a fender.

7/14/2000 10:55 AM
Graywater
email

Dave,  

Just a quickie right now - gotta head to work. Generally, get all of the Cliff jakcs out of the signal path either by replacing them with Switchcraft or bypassing them. Replace the screen grid limiting resistor (no schematic refrence now) with a larger wattage unit (I often also up the value to 1K depending on the model) - these frequently fail and even on the units where they've upgraded to a 5W resistor the "sandstone" resistors they use still fail - get a good quality industrial resistor. Replace the phase inverter plate load resistors with 1W ones - these fail. Replace the coupling caps around the reverb circuit (sorry to be so non-specific) with "orange drops" or equivalent.  
Like I've said, no "20" experience but on the 30/50 I've added an additional PCB standoff to reduce board flex.  

Of course, being a SLM product, resolder all front panel control and jacks solder pads (have a magnifying glass and an X-acto knife ready for the switches) and also all power supply components - especially the diodes and power resistors.  

May think of somemore but will have to pull the specific schematic and compare it to the rest of the series - oh, these mods are also applicable wo the BV/TV series of amps sans the new standoff.  

Tonewise the VC series has a harsh treble to my ears (strat player) but so far I've not had a customer interested in dealing with it - just the reliability mods (in response to a "down" amp)  

GW

Page 1 of 1