ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Is 220mA too Hot?

5/24/2000 1:28 AM
BILL R
email
Re: Is 220mA too Hot?
Dan: when there is the possibility of something being "bad wrong" as they say around here, it is a good idea to do some "power off" testing with your meter after unplugging the amp and draining all the capacitors of their stored voltage. You can easily and safely check all your solder joints, see if your bias control is working, check ground connections, etc. using the ohm meter. By checking one component at a time in the circuits you changed, you also may notice an error in your work as you compare it to the schematic. Bill R.

5/24/2000 3:09 AM
jason
email

quote:
"Also make sure your bias control is adjustable and not a 'bias balance' control. This could be your problem of not having the ma vary as you turn the pot."

the current should still vary as the pot is turned, he just can't set the bias to a desired current reading but only match the two sides, but he still should see the current vary when rotating the pot regardless. I'm sure you knew that Bob, just clarifing for Dan.  

jason

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/24/2000 11:00 AM
Stephen Conner
email

To save your output tubes, take them out while you are troubleshooting the bias circuit. They won't last long at 220 mA.  

Steve C.

5/24/2000 6:15 PM
Dan Z
Do I need a continuity test-tone on my meter to check solder connections or is there another way? The Radio Shack meter I have (~$40) doesn't have the test-tone. There are Flukes where I work that I could borrow for a night.  

Thanks again everyone.  

Dan Z

5/24/2000 6:20 PM
Ben
email

Dan,  

You can just use your Ohm meter to test for continuity on the solder connections.  

Hope that helps  

Ben

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2