ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mod suggestions for the 6G15 Reverb unit.

10/15/2000 9:58 AM
Mark Abbott
email
Mod suggestions for the 6G15 Reverb unit.
I have been screwing around with this for a while, (in between other projects) I have done a fews mods to it myself such as increasing filter cap size, changing the voltage divider to get maximum reverb from the unit (just the thing when the surfs up).  

As the bypass circuit is a cathode follower (which means a loss of signal voltage) is a problem, does anyone have any suggestions in overcoming this problem. I do have some ideas such as using a plate follower (regular cct), but I'm not sure if this is such a great idea, any thoughts?  

Thanks for your help.  

Mark.

10/20/2000 3:35 PM
Scott Swartz
email

I built one of these and got a ground loop from the 3 prong power cords of the reverb unit and the amp.  

The original had a two prong cord, which eliminates this problem, but isn't as safe.  

Do you have any hum?  

If so, a good mod would be to rearrange the output cathode follower and mixer and add an output transformer for ground isolation. I did this and mine is dead silent.  

I used a full wave power supply, but I started from scratch and planned that all along. FW is a helluva lot better than the half wave used on the original.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/21/2000 3:06 AM
Mark Abbott
email

Thanks for the reply Scott. Regarding the hum I decided to go with the back to back diodes with a cap and 10 ohm resistor across the diodes this proved to be very quiet.  

I found if the circuit is above ground (a signal ground), and the chassis is earthed, this brought the quietest results.  

I also decided to use full wave rectification. I also decided to up the values of the caps around the choke in an effort to lift headroom. What I was curious about was the bypass stage, which is a cathode follower circuit, as most people complain about this stage, and Clark amps reverb unit has above unity gain, I was wondering if anyone else has gone down this path?  

Thanks for the assistance.  

Yours Sincerely  

Mark Abbott.

Page 1 of 1