ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Marshall Plexi RI Vol. Pot. Linear Or Audio?

8/19/2000 9:07 PM
Spencer
email
Marshall Plexi RI Vol. Pot. Linear Or Audio?
Why does the volume on Marshall 1987X Plexi RI's come up so quickly? Is this due to a linear taper volume pot? If so, can it be replaced with an audio taper pot for a more useable volume control?  
Thanks.

8/20/2000 10:00 AM
Liam
email

Can't remember, but I've got a feeling they're audio taper, and it's the circuit design that pulls the volume up so quick. Might be worth trying a handful of audio taper pots from different sources. I'll be trying this on my 1987 in a few weeks, so I'll let you know what happens.  

Liam

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/21/2000 11:01 PM
Ken McGill
email

If you take the bright cap off Channel 1 volume  
pot or put in a reduced value cap ie:100pf or  
470pf the pot tapers more smoothly.This is a  
quite usefull and easy mod for tone as well at  
less than full on volume.I own a 1987X and did  
this simple mod and have been happy with the  
results.  

Ken

8/27/2000 4:32 PM
Cliff
email

For what it's worth, I tried this on my 1987X with a 250 pf cap... big improvement in manageability; very effective !!!

8/29/2000 3:28 AM
Gord
I've never played on any of my amps through a channel with a cap across the volume pot. Way too thin sounding for my tastes.  

Whatever that may be worth.  

GOrd

8/29/2000 6:40 AM
Peter S
email

Spencer,  
You can take the 500pf cap off and it will help alot.....if you use the amp at low volumes and find the sound too dull, put a 100pf cap on the volume pot. This will give you the high end sparkle without the overbearing midrange of the 500pf. Also, the taper of many audio taper pots frankly sucks. Stick a good audio taper pot in there with 30% taper and you will have much more control over the volume, and the amp will distort much later in the rotation. The lower gain distortion sounds will also be much smoother if you are still using a bypass cap on the volume control. The only pots I use are Clarostats and I can turn my amps up to about 6 before they really start to breakup. Between 7 and 10 is where all the distortion lives. By the time you are up to 7 or so the brightness cap is already out of the circuit and the distortion is much better sounding.  

Peter S

Page 1 of 1