ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which JCM800-2204 head or 4010 combo?

10/23/2000 2:02 AM
Lee M.
email
Which JCM800-2204 head or 4010 combo?
I'd like to get a Marshall, don't need one, therefore won't spend too much. I think this model fits the bill and have read fairly good things about them. Do these models have "the Marshall sound" (given the right speaker of course)? Any reason to steer clear of them?  

Thanks.  

Lee

10/23/2000 5:57 AM
Glen H.
email

Lee,  

The 4010 is essentially an inverted 2204 master volume Marshall. Controls are preamp / master / treble / middle / bass / presence. Inputs = high sensitivity and low senstitivity.  
I love this model because of its size and 50W output. They're great for club gigs, jamming, and putting around with at home.  

The best sounding one I have tried had EL34's and a 65 Watt (G12-65?) Celestion speaker. I used a TS-9 to kick the preamp a little for solos.  

I currently own a 4104 which again is the same amp as the 2204/4010, but has 2x12" speakers. This is a fairly heavy amp due to the larger size, but is still a lot easier to pack than my 2204 head & cabinet.  

As to providing the "Marshall" sound, these amps will do it, but lack the fundamental of the 4x12 configuration. The amp is "snappy" in comparison, and has accentuated mids & highs, so I roll the treble back a little more. Does the amp sound like a "Bluesbreaker" - no, but you can dial in nice warm distortion. The gain is not over the top shred-style distortion, but very bluesy to crunchy, depending on which guitar you use.  

Marshall JCM800 amps were generally very well built, and I like them very much. The 4010 can only go up in price as collectors and players alike value them for their all-tube cicuitry (no diode distortion here!), size, and tone.;)  

Glen H.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/23/2000 3:04 PM
Liam
email

Lee,  

I totally agree with Glen about all this. I'd add that if you play a lot of crunchy rhythm guitar the 4104 is absolutely killer, possibly more than a 2204 and 4 x 12.  

Any of these models are an ideal first Marshall, but a 4 x 12 cab is a lot of the traditional marshall sound.  

Liam

10/23/2000 5:25 PM
flosopher
email
JCM 800 4010 on Ebay
There was a 50 watt JCM 800 combo on Ebay yesterday; it was described as having reverb, but from the photo it appeared to be the non-reverb 4010. Might be worth checking out if that's what you're after.

10/24/2000 2:57 AM
Lee M.
email
Re: Which JCM800-2204 head or 4010 combo?
Hi Glen,  

I was just the high bidder on a 4010 with EL34s and the G12-65 speaker. I'm kind of surprised since I bid with over 4 minutes to go and the winning bid was $12 less than one went for last week and $16 less than the bid on another one with 3 days left. It will be my first Marshall so I'm looking forward to it. At least I know I can unload it without a loss when/if I get tired of it.  

Lee

10/24/2000 5:13 AM
Glen H.
email
Congratulations!
Lee,  

Let me know when you want to sell it (hahaha).  
Really, you should have a nice amp there. The G12-65 is a decent speaker, and it has those EL34's...  

Enjoy.:)  

Regards,  
Glen H.

Page 1 of 1