ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Building amps

9/12/2000 5:24 PM
Graydon Stuckey
email
Re: Building amps
quote:
"I'm a softie for younger folks trying something different so get your parent(s) to email me and I'll help you put together a small novice tube amp."

Hey, Dad, can I get in on that deal too? :-)  

Later,  
Graydon

9/12/2000 5:54 PM
anonymous
Reverb has some great advice for a SECOND amp. I'd suggest building something like a Champ first. this will give you a feel for the construction of a power supply, setting up a preamp section using a twin triode like a 12ax7, simple controls like volume and single tone, and power tube and output transformer relationship.  

You could try looking for a trashed 70s Fender Champ on ebay that you could rebuild. This will give you a chassis and transformers. By far the hardest part of building your own amp (or at least most time consuming)is acquiring the parts, designing the layout, drilling, cutting, mounting, and assembling everything.  

I hate recommending this but Inside Tube Amps by Dan Torres isn't bad for a beginner. His style is a bit condescending and oversimplified, but he does assume the reader knows essentially nothing. Just realize that it's not the bible and has quite a few errors. Check facts here before believing them!

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/12/2000 5:57 PM
Rebel420
email

... not to mention, a champ (esp. the tweedy types) make a GREAT testbed for hearingwhat different 12ax7's sound like, and for swapping in cramc vs. poly caps, cf vs cc vs mf resistors etc... since the circuit is soo simple, you'll hear the little things easier

9/12/2000 8:09 PM
John
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. The amp I eventually want to build is the 6G6 Brown Bassman (w/ reverb when I get to that point). But, starting with a small amp seems like a really good idea. I think I'm going to order that Dan Torres book for now, since you guys said it was good for beginners.

9/13/2000 3:48 AM
Monty
email

John, if you haven't been hanging out with us long, you may not realize that Bruce's offer is a little like having Stephen King drop by to help you write a story for english class.  

Monty

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2