ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Building some amps.

9/11/2000 1:19 AM
Richie{~}==:::
email
Building some amps.
Just posting to kinda do a before and after project. I'm building a 5F6A bassman type amp.The person wanting this built brought me a BF bassman head.It has already had a few holes drilled and an extra tube hole for a reto tube. It also has the SS board in it too.The parts were bought, and all this brought to me to piece together. A new Sensor PT and Hammond OT. The caps are from Torres..matched i guess with his name on them..Orange drop spragues,and some Mallory.  
I have the transformers,choke,and a few other things mounted..and a turret board. I'll let you know what it sounds like when i get it done.Oh.. and don't call me a hacker.. this was hacked already when I got it,and its what the person wants..So I guess its better having something made out of it..than it just sitting there gutted,hopefully it will live again and be a good sounding amp for a few years to come.Any suggestions would be appreciated..I just got through with a 2203 75.. weird.. it was built more like a 2204.. And a pro reverb i finished today..had a name stamped in it.. and the name seems familiar.. maybe some of you may have heard of him? (Richard Hand) guess he was the one who built it. or tested the amp..  

9/11/2000 12:44 PM
Peter S
email

Richie,  
FWIW, when I build Tweed Bassman style amps, I prefer the 5F6 circuit, and I just delete the 25uf bypass cap on the second stage cathode. I also usually use glass epoxy board instead of the vulcanized fiber, although I use the fiber boards if I'm building a replica that I want to be accurate. I also usually use a 16uf or 20uf decoupling cap for the preamp, I think the 8uf cap is too small......a 16uf here significantly improves the tone of the amp IMHO. The Mojotone Bassman OTs sound great.....never used a Hammond OT. If the NS PT has the 5v windings, maybe you can make it switchable between tube and SS recto.  
I like to use a 5751 in the first stage of Tweed Bassmans, but there still are some 12AY7s floating around. Personally, I think the Orange drops sound too bright in this type of amp. I used to use 'em but not anymore. The tin caps from Angela don't have as much edge to the sound.  

Peter S

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/11/2000 8:52 PM
email

I agree Peter.. if this were mine i would build it alot different, but he has bought all the parts .. i'm just the laborer magician..lol Thats why i said i'd post how it turns out. I have a few tricks i may try to get a little bit better tone from it..And wondering if these magical measured caps from Torres is worth all the extra you pay for them..  

9/11/2000 9:07 PM
Peter S
email

Richie,  
I know a guy who used to build Tweed replicas. He used to match the Sprague 715 caps to within 1%. He's no longer in buisiness. I don't wonder why. His amps were well constructed, but I never much liked the harsh bright tone of them. They certainly didn't sound anything like Tweeds. FWIW, the best sounding Tweed replicas that I've heard yet besides mine(I know, I'm biased so just ignore that part), are the Victoria amps. Mark advetises that the caps have been intentionally compromised to help get that authentic sound. I always just use NOS caps, and I measure 'em to make sure they aren't leaky and aren't too closely matched..... they need to be off by 5-15%.....the original had a 20% tolerance.  

Peter S

9/11/2000 9:08 PM
Rebel420
email

Let me know if you need a 12ay7, i have a couple of those laying around myself ;)

Page 1 of 1