ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Power attenuator, not simple dummy load

8/8/2000 9:40 PM
Kremator
email
Power attenuator, not simple dummy load
Hi,  
I'd like to build something like marshall powerbrake, not a line out, but something to power speakers with. I've read several documents about dummy loads and i still don't know, where and what should i tap to power speakers, not the mixer.  
Thanks in advance,  
K.  
PS: THD hotplate complete schematics with all parts' values is my dream

8/9/2000 2:37 AM
Ryan
email

PS: THD hotplate complete schematics with all parts' values is my dream  

You and me both!

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/9/2000 3:23 AM
Chris Hogan
email

Hell yeah, me too!  

I had one for a bit...back when I knew less than nothing (as opposed to now when I just know nothing!) Wish I'd copied down the circuit...

8/9/2000 8:25 AM
anonymous
I have the drawings of Marshall PowerBrake  
look at http://hem.passagen.se/lako63/ritninga.htm  

lars

8/9/2000 9:44 PM
Kremator
email

Yeah,  
i know that. But the problem is with the tapped inductor. Need some more info. Anybody ever tried to make a thing like this?  
K.

8/9/2000 11:09 PM
Kremator
email

Hi,  
I did some research about power attenuators. Some of them use multitapped transformer somehow. How does this work? I can lower the voltage by a transformer, but how about the current?  

Another thing. What are typical inductances of 4,8,16ohm speakers? I think powerbrakes's tapped inductor should be the 16 ohm value, as there's some tap switching for the 8 ohm. But how does a speaker attached to a tap affect the whole inductance? If i put two inductors in parallel, it's like paralleling resistors. L=(La*Lb)/(La+Lb). The question is, is the powerbrake designed to accept this, or it just doesn't matter so much.  

On Mr.Aiken's pages i found several usable dummy loads. Would it be possible, just to tap the "working" inductor, like the one in powerbrake (or simmilar way) to get the result i want?  
K.

8/10/2000 12:30 AM
SteveG
email

I have a couple of speakers lying around, and I've been wondering about building them into a small sealed box and using them as a power attenuator. I can't see why the box would need to be any bigger than the minimum size to allow them to fit. they could be positioned facing each other to reduce the size. Has anyone tried anything like this? Good or bad results?  

Steve

Page 1 of 8 Next> Last Page>>