ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

gibson hawk

7/11/2000 12:25 AM
bill
email
gibson hawk
hello everybody, ijust picked up an old gibson hawk GA 25 RVT at a yard sale complete with 7591 uotput tubes and 2 10 inch speakers.it was only 33 bucks so i had to give it a good home.any way, i think the output trany is blown and was searching for a schematic but cant seem to find one anywhere. if anyone could help me out i would be very greatful thanks bill

7/11/2000 4:50 PM
Dave Rich
email

http://www.gibson.com/relations/schematics/diagrams/ga-25.gif

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/11/2000 9:07 PM
Graywater
email

Bill,  

Don't know about the output tranny but these amps often blow the PI/driver tranny - Antique Electronic Supply has one that replaces it well.  

GW

7/11/2000 9:36 PM
Tim Swartz
email

I think it is only the GA20 RVT that has the transformer PI. And that schematic is from a 50's model that bears little resemblence to the RVT...  

Tim

7/12/2000 12:12 AM
Ron
email

I had the model RVT30A Hawk amp. It had a transformer PI and it opened up on me. The 12AU7 plate winding opened and the local tech used a 120K resistor and a .01uF cap to get it working again. Didn't change the sound. FYI

7/12/2000 2:53 AM
Graywater
email

Tim,  

The transformer coupling seemed to be an integral part of the Gibson sound until the late 60s - every one I've worked used the tranny. It certainly shapes the sound and, to my ears, nicely - gives a distinct tone.  

GW

7/12/2000 11:57 AM
Tim Swartz
email

I seem to see a fair amount of Gibson amps, maybe it's being in MI? The only amp I recall having the transformer PI was the GA20RVT...I have a mid '60s GA45 RVT and a couple of '50s Gibsons in the shop currently, and these do not have coupling transformers for the PI. I personally think the '50s and very early '60s Gibsons are among the finest sounding amps ever...but by the time they put black tolex on them ('64?) they had become terrible sounding.  

Tim

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>