ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ruby Tone Bones?

6/9/2000 6:54 AM
BB
email
Ruby Tone Bones?
Has anybody tried these things out yet, just wondered if they worked well or not? I would like to try something like this in my bassman head.

6/9/2000 3:12 PM
BB
email

What one is best? High tension or low tension? In a 6l6 type amp. Thanks BB

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/9/2000 5:02 PM
Tim C.
email

BB,  

You would need the high tension model with your Bassman amp. Now the only other question you need to decide is whether you want the triode or pentode version. The pentode version would be more aggresive and the triode more warm and open with a little less clean volume. Check the height of the bones to make sure they will fit in your head.  

Good Luck,  
Tim C.

6/9/2000 5:58 PM
Rebel420
email

Ok,  
Humour me... I've not heard of the Ruby Tone Bones... what exactly are they? Is it a variety of tube they sell? or what? I've searched the web and the MagcParts catalog w/ no success.  
Thanx

6/9/2000 6:19 PM
Carl Z
email

In a nutshell, these are tube socket adapters to allow you to use low power pentodes like the EL84 in 6L6 and EL34 amps. I have no idea how the pull this off or even if they work.  

Here's the text from their catalog. It's on the sam e page as their tube sockets and accessories.  

"The tone bone is a plug and play adapter that allows you to use EL84's in place of 6L6GC, 5881, EL34, and 6V6GT power tubes in real Class A operation. No adjustments or re-biasing are required. blah blah blah blah. The tone bone is available in pentode or triode versions."  

suggested retail.....$99.50

6/9/2000 6:43 PM
Rebel420
email

quote:
"Here's the text from their catalog. It's on the sam e page as their tube sockets and accessories."
I take it you ahve the printed catalog, the online catalog doesnt show these.

6/9/2000 11:36 PM
BB
email

I guess what i'm trying to say is what one, pentode or triode would i need for a Vox kind of sound. I do like the sound to break up sooner, i run two amps A/B one clean and the other kind of overdriven, so i was wanting to get that drive at a lower volume, you know what i mean. I just don't want to mod my bassman head other than tubes or caps. Thanks for all your responses i love this place! BB

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>