ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

ECC83 question

6/2/2000 1:11 PM
pepps
email
ECC83 question
Hello, a basic question on ECC83 12AX7 Tube.  
I read in a german Tube -Page, that the two systems  
in a ECC83 have a small differnt in the heating and because of this the second system (6,7,8) is more sensitive and should used first. Is that true?`  
Thank a lot,  
pepps

6/6/2000 4:45 PM
Erik Aho
email

I have a similar question: If I change ECC83s to my Fender Twin instead of 12AX7s, does this require some amp tweaking or are the tubes so closely matching that I don't have to worry about it? Does anybody know how this would affect to the sound? Do the ECC83s have lower or higher gain or something?  

Erik

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/6/2000 5:04 PM
Peter S
email

ECC83's are the european designation for 12AX7.....in other words they are exactly the same tube.  

PETER S

6/6/2000 10:32 PM
Rick Erickson
email

Q{ECC83's are the european designation for 12AX7.....in other words they are exactly the same tube.}  

As exactly the same as any two 12AX7's are anyway.  
In current production as well as NOS there seems to be quite a variance in performance between various brands/models.  
There shouldn't be any need to tweak the amp though, just plug-n-play.  

RE

6/7/2000 1:02 PM
pepps
email
Re: ECC83 question answered
Hello,  
till now so many people read this and I don´t get any answer, so it´s also an answer. Nobody heared anything about a differenz between the systems in a tube. Thanks,  
Pepps

6/7/2000 6:03 PM
Ian Anderson
email

An ECC83 is a twin triode tube (as we all know). What Pepps is asking (I think) is if there is any difference between the two sides of the tube (i.e. one half one the triode different in spec to the other half in relation to heater current, MU etc...)  

I seem to remember some 12A?? something or other (twin triode) having different specs for each half of the tube, and I think this is what Pepps wants to know.  

... Ian

6/7/2000 9:06 PM
pepps
email

Ian,  

You are right, this is exact what I want to know.  

all others  

Excuse my english, I´m from germany and not very confirm whith the proper english ....  
I try to improove.Sorry.  

Pepps

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>