ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Have I lost my mind?!

4/17/2000 9:18 AM
Scott
email
Have I lost my mind?!
I was in a music store the other day and played a Crate Vintage Club 50 with 3x10's. Is it just me, or do these things actually sound good?! Nice, round clean channel with just enough oommpphh and a drive channel that went from a bit o' grit to wide open JTM 45 without the ears bleeding. Anyone else out there have a good experience with these amps? I know that tone preference is subjective, but do I need to have my head examined? Maybe book an extra session with my therapist? I mean, it's a Crate!

4/17/2000 12:29 PM
Lee M.
email

In my opinion (worth what you pay for it), a lot of the hoopla around boutique and vintage amps is because the player knows it's supposed to sound good so he thinks it does. The converse it also true.  
Recently one tone con-a-sewer (sorry I can't spell French) admitted to liking a Marshall Valvestate. Should he be banned from the guitar tone hall of fame? No. He should be given a reward for admitting that he liked a mostly s.s. amp knowing he might face ostracism and eternal damnation.  

If you like the Crate (and I've heard others make similar comments), more power to you. I think the big knock against the mass market tube amps (Fender Blues & Hot Rod series, Peavey Classic, etc.) it that the construction is not roadworthy, not that they don't sound decent (or would with better speakers and tubes.)  

Anyway as I always say, everyone's entitled to his own stupid opinion. And this is mine.  

Lee

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/18/2000 12:13 PM
Stephen Conner
email

quote:
"In my opinion (worth what you pay for it), a lot of the hoopla around boutique and vintage amps is because the player knows it's supposed to sound good so he thinks it does. The converse it also true."

I agree 100% - and I liked the Valvestate too. I actually bought the Valvestate 2x12" cab to use with my 50 watt tube head. The speakers are called 'Marshall Gold Backs' and they have a great mellow tone, like Greenbacks only cheaper. I think they are the main reason why the Valvestate stuff sounds good.  

Steve C.

4/18/2000 9:16 PM
Ken McGill
email

I was wondering when someone was going to  
throw an opinion on these cabs and speakers.  
I bought one of their 4 -12 VS412A cabs for  
my 50watt small box head. I was doing one of  
those "Have I lost my mind" things.It sounded  
good, was a good deal and probably one of the  
easiest 4 -12 boxes to haul around that I  
have had the pleasure to schlepp.I was considering  
changing speakers eventually but so far its  
been sounding great. Dimensionally it fits  
perfect under the head as well.  

If it makes sense and sounds good who cares  
what the R.O.W.thinks.  

Enjoy whatever you play through  
Ken

4/18/2000 9:20 PM
Rebel420
email

quote:
"I agree 100% - and I liked the Valvestate too. I actually bought the Valvestate 2x12" cab to use with my 50 watt tube head."
I'll tell ya what cabs I liked, wished I hadn't sold... it was a JCM800 2-12" cabinet, that was not like a 4-12 cut in half, but rather looked like a small 4-12 cab, it was slant front, the top speaker was on the right side, and the lower speaker was on the left. Nice, light and sounded pretty good. I THINK they were part of the 'mini-stack' series, and were the size of the 4-10 cabs they sold. It matched up [pretty well with the BF bassman head I had at the time... ahhh the thigs i wish i didnt sell!

4/19/2000 2:53 PM
Bruce
email

quote:
"I'll tell ya what cabs I liked, wished I hadn't sold... it was a JCM800 2-12" cabinet,"
My slightly smaller version that cabinet with a pair of Celestion Vintage 30s is my favorite 2x12' cab!!  
Just the rihgt size and weight for just about any normal gig with a 25-50 watt amp.  
Bruce

4/20/2000 8:16 PM
Tony Leach
email

You know I went to a music store the other day and was playing thru one of the newer Marshall 2x12 combos (not sure which but it had lots of gain). I wasn't really impressed but it wasn't bad. I looked beside that amp and saw this funky green colored 2x12 amp and thought yea right. But I plugged in and turned a few knobs and WOW did it sound really good! It was a Trace Elliot amp. I asked the guy to tell me about it and the first thing he said was it's all (dare I say it) TRANSISTOR! I was amazed that it sounded so good. I really really thought it was a tube amp from the way it sounded. If I woulda had the $$ I would bought it on the spot.  

Tony

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>