ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which power tubes for BF Bassman?

3/7/2000 6:00 AM
Don Which power tubes for BF Bassman?
Hello. I also have a bman head converted to AA864 specs. Its still kind of hard and brittle. Which power tubes or simple mods would you suggest to let it compress a little? It's a '67. 5881's maybe?  

Don

3/7/2000 6:52 AM
Steve A.
email

Don:  

I think that the 5881's have a nice round tone compared to the 6L6's. If the tube clamps don't hold them very well try a dab of high temp silicone on each side.  

BTW what B+ is going to the plates of the power tubes?  

Steve Ahola

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/7/2000 4:46 PM
Max
email

Hi Don and Steve!  

Steve,wouldn't you loose some of the fender clarity with 5881?  
I used EL34 in my boogie for a while(sovtek ones)  
and i preffer it with 6L6.  
As for my bassman,i'd like to make it creamier,but more like changing the circuit,than the tubes(i just love the 6L6,I don't know why thought.  

Best regards.  
Max.

3/7/2000 4:49 PM
Rebel420
email

ifyou are using the bassman for clan, going to 5881's would lose some sparkle, but for overdriving it, 5881's or el34's would actually smooth thins out a LOT

3/7/2000 5:37 PM
Doc
email

There is a 6L6 taste test in the latest issue of Vacuum Tube Valley magazine. The test was performed using both single coil and hunbucking pickups, and an Allen amplifier which has a "fender type" circuit.  

Surprisingly, to me anyway, the Sovtek 5881WXT+ got high marks. Did they actually improve this tube from the 5881WXT version?  

Also, they liked the surplus Philips 6L6WGB.  

Check out the article, if you get a chance. The nice thing is that both of these tube types are affordable and readily available.

3/7/2000 5:38 PM
Bare
If your Bassman with it's modified to a864 circuit is 'hard and gritty' then I suggest that there is something seriously wrong. My (original)a864 is very smooth&clear but never hard and gritty. Am using NOS tubes tho.. all of them. Perhaps you should double check your wiring and use decent NOS tubes as well.

3/7/2000 9:02 PM
Jim S.
email

Maybe your power tubes are fine, but are just biased too cold. They should idle at around 35 milliamps per 6L6. Less than 30 ma is definitely too cold.

Page 1 of 1