ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Marshall Brown Sound

3/6/2000 6:25 PM
Carl Z
email
Re: Marshall Brown Sound
Hi Folks;  

The thread is getting a little long and hard to follow so I thought I'd break it off and restart with a few comments on the whole EVH/Marshall/Brown sound discussion and see where it leads. Feel free to hop in and comment on these observations.  

What I've noticed is that there are several brown sounds as noted before. I like to dice them up in the following ways...  
1. Early Van Halen  
2. Late Van Halen  
3. Early Van Hagar  
4. Late Van Hagar  
5. Balance/Van Sissy  

If you listen to these different variants you'll notice that the early stuff is very edgy for lack of a better way to describe it. As time marched on you start to here more bottom and more preamp distortion with progressively more effects mixed in. My personal favorite is more late Van Halen/Mean streets stuff. Big fat tone with huge nuts!  

I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg but it seems like Marhall's JCM800 line tracked Eddie's general sound or posibly vice versa. The JCM800 line covers a pretty broad spectrum of circuit topologies. Starting from the early stuff which was pretty much just the three stage preamp then moving on to more gain stages and adding in diode clipping. So to say that he used a JCM800 is a pretty broad sweeping statement.  

That should get some good heated discussion going!  

Regards;  
Carl Z  

3/6/2000 9:32 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"Starting from the early stuff which was pretty much just the three stage preamp then moving on to more gain stages and adding in diode clipping. So to say that he used a JCM800 is a pretty broad sweeping statement. "

Yes this will get this heated up! (ha, ha) Way to go Carl!!! :)  

I'm pretty certain that the amp on the first 5 albums was exclusivly his plexi. I spoke with Ted Templeman once at an AES show and he said all he used on the first album (for gain) was the amp and he (ted) recomended the variac because they all wanted to play in the same room together. This way he didn't have to play as loud to get the gain he wanted and it would cut down on the leakage. He also said his pickup was pretty over wound because Eddie was messing around with hand winding his pickups at this point. Ted also mentioned that it was a party fest (beer) in the studio for the first album. Maybe that added to the spirited vibe(?)  

Trace  

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/6/2000 10:59 PM
DaveK
I talked to Soldano about his experience with EVH,he told me that Ed brought his old Plexi in when he started to have problems with it,and that it was basically a stock amp.Nothing was technically wrong with the amp and that it was a very average sounding Plexi.I suspect Ed doesn't even remember how he got that amazing tone years ago,too much uh,water or something under the bridge.:)  

3/8/2000 7:10 AM
rob
email

"it was a very average sounding Plexi.I suspect Ed doesn't even remember how he got that amazing tone"  

don't forget his hands.  
thats where the tone is.  
no touch, no tone.  
doesn't matter what yer playin thru.  

3/8/2000 10:19 AM
Liam
email

It's not just in his hands. Have you ever seen anyone look like they're having so much fun playing guitar? There's a load of it comes straight from the head. There's something about great guitarists that lets them get amazing tone out of almost any gear, and it's not just in the hands.  

Or am I getting a bit too metaphysical?

3/8/2000 10:44 AM
Mark
Ed's amp was not stock ! if you look at pics from that time you can see a master on the back left side. By 1984 its demodded. From talking to Matt Brock Ed does not want that VH1 tone anymore ?? I think this proves he's lost it.  
Somebody take the prozac away give him a pile of blow & case of beer!!  
No,Im kidding, but this bland- prozac hazed- no personalty Ed sucks.  
At least Dave's back !!!  

.....Mark

3/8/2000 3:45 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"Ed's amp was not stock ! if you look at pics from that time you can see a master on the back left side."

At one point it was stock. Do you know when the master volume was added?  

quote:
"By 1984 its demodded."

He had pretty tone on the 1984 album. The song "Panama" had some great tone as well as "Top-Jimmy."  

quote:
"From talking to Matt Brock Ed does not want that VH1 tone anymore ?? I think this proves he's lost it."

I would suspect that he wanted to change his tone a little bit. He had been using the same tone on all the albums as well as touring all over the planet. He may have simply got bored with it. I personally like the older tone myself.  

quote:
"At least Dave's back !!!"

Really?? Rob Curn said they were having weekly meetings with a therapist to see if they could make it work before they hit the road and someone killed Dave! (ha, ha) There's a lot of history there that is a bit funky but I did prefer them with Dave.  

:)  
Trace  

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>