ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Using plexi as eyelet / turret board material?

2/28/2000 11:45 PM
Firefly
email
Re: Using plexi as eyelet / turret board material?
Look up plastics in the phone book, call the biggest supplier you see listed(or look on the web) and ask if lexan makes a good insulator. The people at Professional Plastics were good enough to fax me a copy of the spec sheets for their version of FR-4 or G-10 epoxy board. These specs included electrical stuff. I may even stil have those being the packrat that I am(much to the chagrin of the wife)  

Bye

2/29/2000 2:07 AM
Brian
email

I believe lexan is a trade name for plexiglass.  

Acrylic?? i think is actually the name of the polymer.  

Been a while....  

BT

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/29/2000 3:14 AM
R.G.
email

"Plexiglas" is a trade name for a variety of acrylic sheet.  

"Lexan" is a trade name for a variety of polycarbonate sheet. Different plastic.  

Lexan is tougher, more crack and heat resistant, and more expensive. Plexiglas is clearer and more desirable for optical applications. Lexan is better for protective applications. Many bulletproof windows are Lexan.

2/29/2000 8:30 AM
Richie
I think fender had an all clear amp  
in a picture once... I bet it was  
beer bottle proof..!!! I like the  
boards keystone sells and they will build to  
you specs..Richie{~}==:::

2/29/2000 9:53 PM
Brian
email

I think the amp you are referring to is a Selmer. I remember seeing a picture of one in the Pittman Book.  

Pretty cool idea though. It probably sounded pretty crappy, due to the dead plastic sound.  

BT

2/29/2000 1:25 PM
Stephen Conner
email
Lexan
Lexan is the trade name for polycarbonate. It can stop bullets and makes a great insulator too (that's why you get polycarbonate film caps) Unfortunately it also melts below 200 oC AFAIK. Really your choices for tag boards are FRP, SRPB, ceramic, or one of the thermosetting plastics like Bakelite.  

Steve C.

2/29/2000 2:07 PM
SteveF
I don't see why anyone would consider using a  
material for a circuit board where you would have  
to wonder whether you were going to melt the material  
while soldering. Polycarbonate would look pretty  
cool, but it melts at too low a temp to be very  
attractive for this application. Everytime you  
touch the board with your iron, it would leave  
an unsightly melted spot. I'm not so coordinated,  
so this is a real issue!  

An economical alternative to G10 that I've used  
with some success is phenolic sheet. It's tough  
as hell, easy to cut and you can heat it up all  
day long without worrying about melting it. I bought  
a 4' x 4' sheet for about $50, and that was at the  
most expensive place I know, a local plastics supplier.  
Mail order, it's bound to be much cheaper.  

Regards, SF

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 5 Next> Last Page>>