ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Any one ever build a plexi head?

2/23/2000 7:22 AM
nathan
email
Any one ever build a plexi head?
has any one ever done this or could help me with building one?  

Thanks,  
Nathan

2/23/2000 12:06 PM
SpeedRacer
email

It's not that bad.. what do you want to know?  
I mean it's tougher than a tweed Champ, ;-)  
but it's really the same as a 5F6-A Bassman with a  
few tweaks here and there. The key to good results  
is just using the best parts (esp tubes!) and taking your  
time to build it right/cleanly. I have a photo of some plexi  
'guts' up on my website if you want to see what a typical  
amp might look like inside. There's another thread going  
about DIY Marshall-type amps with parts sources suggestions  
etc.  

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/23/2000 7:18 PM
Richie
i think you'll find many on here have built the plexi amp..and bassman. and are using them to play through..I have built a few... {~}==::: Richie

2/23/2000 8:35 PM
nathan
email

did you happen to use hammond or just replacement transformers? what type? what are the values on the three diodes used in the power section and bias area? Is there a way I can replace the diodes with a power tube?  

thanks  

nathan

2/23/2000 11:26 PM
jason
email

Go to speedracers site, obsolete electronics. He has a plexi spec 50watt output tranny that is suppose to be the sh%t. He also has a nice page with photos of a plexi layout along with other good info on his marshall tech page.  

Is there a way I can replace the diodes with a power tube?  
why not use a rectifier tube instead of a power tube.  
good luck,  
jason  

2/24/2000 3:57 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"He has a plexi spec 50watt output tranny that is suppose to be the sh%t."

I've tried them out and they ARE the S#!T!!! They sound far better than the Marshall "replacements" everyone else sells. I'd recommend these for anyone looking to build a marshall of their own or for those who need to replace a tranny. I also tried one in my JCM800 50 watter and it sounded FAR better! The 800 50 watter's always seemed a bit "squishier" than the 100 watters, which is why everyone favors the 100 watters IMHO.  

Trace

2/25/2000 8:47 PM
pgambon
email

Check Hoffman's site for board layout. You might just buy one if your not on a tight budget. You could build it using a tweed bassman chassis for mounting in a combo cab. good luck

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>