ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Alessandro Beagle in new GP Magazine

12/23/1999 10:30 PM
Mitch Alessandro Beagle in new GP Magazine
Has anybody seen the review in the new GP of the Alessandro Beagle amp? It has pictures of the inside of the chassis with the article. Looks like a 6SL7 preamp with a Fender type tone stack right after the first stage. A second 6SL7 is used for the LTP-PI to drive a pair of UL, cathode-biased Sovtek EL84's in Class A at 240V. The article says the output tubes for all the Alessandro amps are run in UL. The pictures are color so I was hoping to make out some of the values used on the resistors. It looks to me like 220k plate loads on the 1st 6SL7 and a 470 bias resistor on the PI. All the caps in the PI (except the input cap) are paper-in-oil and look to be the same size; I would guess 0.1 microfarad. The PI input cap and two of the caps in the tone stack look to be orange drops; they look like the 0.02 microfarad size and shape to me. I would love to hear your opinions on what all the values for the resistors and caps might be for this supposedly great sounding amplifier, as I was thinking of building something very similar but with 6V6 output tubes instead of the EL84's. Thanks.

12/24/1999 5:56 PM
Scott Swartz
email

I have built a 2 6L6 UL amp with ZNFB and I used .068 caps in the PI to tighten the bass. With no feedback to reduce the damping factor I find that I get a better sound with smaller caps. Everything is interactive so just sub in different parts and see how it sounds. UL amps have a very smooth distortion that works well for blues, etc.  

All those high priced parts used in the Beagle may or may not sound better for guitar amps. For instance, the Elna or Black Gate electrolytics. I use Solen caps in my hifi designs, but I prefer the graininess and compression of Sprague electrolytics in guitar amps.  

If I were going to purchase a UL amp, the Dr. Z Route 66 certainly looks like a better value.  

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/24/1999 7:44 PM
Patrick
The first thing I noticed about the layout is that it appears he has broken one of what I thought was a cardinal rule, that being the position of the PT and OPT. Both are positioned so the laminations are parallel. On all my DIY's I've always placed them at 45 degree angles, even when they are seperated by the length of the chassis. Even his choke is parallel. How does he get away with this? The article didn't say (unless I missed it) but the pots appear to be CTS, not sure though.

12/25/1999 3:26 AM
MKB
email

Just got the magazine today and saw something strange (to me); perfboard and flea clips? I haven't seen this construction method in any amp so far. I would think the flea clip would not give a very good support for large components like the large capacitors in this circuit. I am not being critical as much as curious. Has anyone else here used this technique?  

Also, has anyone here heard the Beagle? It has two EL84's class A ultralinear. According to Dr.Z, the EL84 doesn't sound so good in an ultralinear stage, however the article certainly praises the use thereof in the Beagle.

12/25/1999 11:25 PM
BWilliamson
email

quote:
"something strange (to me); perfboard and flea clips? I haven't seen this construction method in any amp so far."

As I've been informed, K.Fischer also builds his amps in this manner for fast tweaking of components. Since Allesandro is one of K.F.'s previous students it doesn't surprise me.

12/27/1999 1:18 AM
DavidB
email

I,m new to this,uh what is a flea clip?

12/30/1999 12:39 AM
Bob C.
email

Like a roach clip only smaller ;)

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>