ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Me too, what power tranny?

12/15/1999 7:42 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email
Re: Me too, what power tranny?
Damn Bob!!!!!  

What kind of idle current are you running across those EL84's? My "Epic" amp is running about 42 ma per tube with a plate voltage of about 310VDC.  
You figure thats only 84 ma + 1.5 ma for each 12AX7.......how are you pulling so much current?  

You must be running those EL84's way above max dissapation rating???????  

Thanks,  
Benjamin  

12/15/1999 10:40 PM
Bob A DynaQamps
email

Benjamin, I'm running the tubes at about 40 ma. each. Your figures are about right for idle current. The issue that I don't here about is the current draw while in use and under high demand. English amps usually have larger transformers than Fender's and seem to run cooler. I've tried a Thordason 120ma. trans on that design and it gets pretty hot. When it'the "cranked up mode" this amp was drawing 148 ma. I'm not comfortable with this design without a least a little head room. Say, 160-180ma.  

My plate voltage is about 350vdc with current @ 37 ma. Idle current is around 90 ma. But when you gas it, it draws up to 150 ma. Now I don't know about you but I like to play my amp big and bad so you need a larger trans.  

Playing safe;  

Bob @ DynaQamps

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/15/1999 11:26 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email

Bob,  

Smart thinking.........  
And your right, it never hurts to have some headroom to play with!  

Thanks for the input!  
Benjamin  

12/16/1999 1:47 AM
Lee
email

OK, the FX it is. I'll use the output tranny that is in the amp now (2xEL84). I need a different power tranny because this old Traynor is pulling 438v. B+ from its 330-0-330 unit and s.s. rectifier. I haven't played it much but I don't imagine the power tubes would last real long at that voltage.

12/16/1999 5:20 AM
dave rutherford
email

I have the 270FX in a 2-el84/2-12ax7 amp and get 350v b+ (5ar4 rect.) FYI.

12/16/1999 5:50 PM
Benjamin Fargen
email

Dave,  

Good info........as Doc has pointed out in the past, hammond transformers are rated for a 115 AC supply. So your really seeing about 280-85vac off the secondary instead of it's 275 rating.... depending on you AC outlet. We all know after you throw in the rectification calcultaion ( x 1.414) your dealing with quite a bit higher B+ than any original (Smaller) Vox ever had.  
I used the old zener trick ( thanks again Bruce) to drop it down to about 305-310vdc. This gives you a little bit more  
relief for today cheap ass tubes.  

Benjamin

12/16/1999 6:15 PM
Max
email
Re:anyone has built a spitfire?
Hi guys!  
I set my mind on the spit.  
But there's somethings i want to ask.  
1,does Hamond makes a 272 in 220V?  
2the two grid two res,are 100 but what?100 omhs i guess?  
3same thing with the 120/5 watts omhs again?  
4The first 12 ax 7 looks like the two triodes are connected in paralel(look at the pin numbers on Ampage schem)  
5what are the specs for the choke.  
6Where do i find cheap caps in europe?  
or can i replace the three after the choke for 330 Mfd 385V  
I know the first one i can't,it would make too much of a curent draw onto the rec.  
Best regards.  
And thanks for your help.  
Max.  
:@)

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>