ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Building a bass amp

9/3/2000 12:11 PM
Jim Jones
email
Building a bass amp
Hi guys,  

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what circuits I should look to for a bass amp for my brother.  

He's primarily a "basement tinkerer" who may get together occasionally with a drummer and guitarist (combo amp) so I don't think a lot of power is necessary...probably 50-60 watts would be fine.  

I was wondering if the Marshall 1986 schem would be a good place to start...maybe with 6550's?  

I also wonder about some of the old Sunn 50-60 watt schems...are more Baxandall-ish tone stacks better for bass?  

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited!  

Thanks,  

Jim

9/4/2000 4:38 AM
eric
email

i'd go with ampeg designs for bass, i just love the tone, look at some of the portaflex schematics the b15 was/is a popular recording amp and the way its setup is unique, the amp flips up to play and is also easily stored when not in use

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/4/2000 5:56 AM
Troy
email

I agree about the Ampeg design. I have a '60's B-15NF that's perfect for practice or recording; nice fat tone! If you're looking at Marshall type, you may want to look at the Sunn Model T design. Basically a Marshall plexi circuit with a few twists like ultralinear OT and master vol. On bigger gigs the Sunn is my main rig and it's cool for clean or some dirt too.  

Another option is to get Kevin O'Conner's book Tonnes of Tone and build one of the bass preamp projects. This will be my next build coupled with a PP pair of KT90's in ultralinear.  

Troy

Page 1 of 1