ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

High B+ in homebrew

6/3/2000 7:56 PM
DonJ
email
High B+ in homebrew
Grettings, I have a question in my latest amp project I have a B+ of 654v before any other componets are installed the filter supply is conected and I'm getting 654v what should I do to bring B+ down to a usable level. Building 5f6a. thanks DonJ

6/3/2000 7:59 PM
DonJ
email

One other thing I have seen MM amps with 700v with el34s whats the deal.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/3/2000 9:43 PM
Peter S
email

Don,  
EL34's are rated for 800volts on the plates. Music Man amps are class B amps....they run the screen much lower, also the Cathode to plate voltage is actually only around 550 or 600volts.  
As far as lower the B+.....you can use a zener to lower it maybe a 100 volts or so. I've never tried to get that much voltage drop with a zener, but maybe someone else on here has. You could hunt for a lower voltage tranny too.  
PS

6/3/2000 10:31 PM
DonJ
email

Peter, Thanks for the reply. I'm kinda stuck with this PT when I measured the B+ when it was in the donor amp it was 525v,so I figured why not and made the cut in my nice chrome chassis. Maybe I will go ahead and finish wiring the amp and see what happens.Oh by the way the PT came out of a blown hammmond tone cab with 6 el84s and 4 12a_7s and 1 6au6 and 2 5u4g's all nos tubes. I figured it could handle 2 el34 and 3 12ax7s with 1 5u4g.would I hurt anything if I went ahead a finished this monster I'm using a new sensor 50watt ot and 5f6a circut. Tjhank you DonJ

6/4/2000 8:09 AM
Peter S
email

You should be alright with that tranny.....after you get your other components in and your power tubes start drawing current, your voltage will drop quite a bit. You can also experiment with a few different rectifier tubes to get lower voltages. If your voltage is too still too high, get a reversed bias 50watt 50volt Zener Diode and the voltage will drop down about another 50volts or so.  
PS

6/4/2000 12:08 PM
Ray Ivers
email

Don,  

Just a thought... a choke-input power supply would drop your voltage quite a bit; I calculate roughly in the neighborhood of 400 volts with the choke-input supply. This type of PS has good voltage regulation characteristics, so the 'sag' if any will have to come from the tube rectifier, not the PS itself. I don't know how a big choke is going to fit into your chassis layout scheme, though, and I've found they throw a pretty good hum field when carrying the entire amplifier B+ current.  

Ray Ivers  
R.A.G.E. Electronics

6/4/2000 12:39 PM
DonJ
email

Ray,Come to think of it the hammond did have a pretty large choke lay down type.The only place I could fit it would be between the PT and OT. Maybe if I put a sheild plate between the choke and OT it would work? THanks, DonJ

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>