ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: marshall clone

6/2/2000 4:20 PM
Tonefactor
email
Re: marshall clone
quote:
"I happen to prefer a solid state rectifier in a Marshall "

Me too.  

quote:
"Now what makes you post replies like that anyway??? Are you just hostile or is it your sense of humor and I'm missing it???"

I was actually just kidding around... I guess I should have made that clear. No hostility here.

6/2/2000 4:30 PM
michael c
email

i seem to prefer the sag in my other amps with tube rectification. besides i have too many octals on the original chassis that are begging to be used. thanks again. rock on  
michael c

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/5/2000 1:39 PM
frank
email

I built my Marshall clone with a tube rectifier socket on chassis...later, I removed the gz-34 and attached 4 diodes (SS) full wave instead of tube rectifier...like Trace, I too prefer the SS sound better in this position...the un-used socket has a piece of tape over it (top of chassis)...IMHO, I don't miss the tube rectifier at all!...Frank.

6/2/2000 5:20 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"I was actually just kidding around... I guess I should have made that clear. No hostility here. "

Ohhh...OK (whew) I was worried that I offended you on some way. We normally see eye to eye on Marshall stuff and that's cool!!!!!!  

:-)  
Trace

6/3/2000 6:52 AM
Bruce
email

Here is why he was yanking your chain Trace...  
from your post...
quote:
""If it were me, I would skip the use of the rectifier all together...""

Ha ha.. The only thing left would have been a 450v battery... or the word 'tube' after rectifier!  
Bruce

6/13/2000 2:01 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"Here is why he was yanking your chain Trace...  
from your post..."

DOUGH!!! (ha, ha) No more posting early in the AM without having my coffee! :D  

Trace

6/3/2000 7:54 AM
Peter S
email

Trace,  
It was their sense of humor....you said skip the rectifier altogether when you meant to say skip the tube. I dont think it was intended to be hostile. Since almost all Marshalls except a JTM45 or very early 50watters use a ss rectifier, using a solid state rectifier makes perfect sense. Personally I like to use a GZ34 cuz its really close to the ss but has just a touch of sag....I wouldnt use it on the 100 watter though.....but on the 50watt it gives the amp just a touch smoother distortion IMHO.  
PS

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>