ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

marshall clone

6/1/2000 6:58 PM
michael c
email
marshall clone
i am attempting to build a marshall clone using the schematic found here on ampage. i have the space for a tube rectifier. i want to know what rectifier i could use in place of a solid state rectifier. or if it is feasible idea or not. thanks again  

michaelc

6/1/2000 9:20 PM
anon
5v4, 5u4, 5ar4 will all work-- and they all  
have the same pin-out. 5y3 is too small.  

I built an amp using those same schematics and I  
am quite happy with it. About the only  
change I made was to remove the 'bright'  
cap on the volume control.  

Careful layout is critical due to the high gain.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/1/2000 9:46 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"i want to know what rectifier i could use in place of a solid state rectifier. or if it is feasible idea or not. thanks again"

If it were me I would skip the use of the rectifier all together but if you want to use one then I would for a GZ34 like Marshall used. It's the closest thing to a SS rectifier while still being a tube. Most of the other rectifiers seem to "sag" or "compress" to much when you drive the amp hard in the 1987-1959 circuit.  

Hope it helps!  
Trace

6/1/2000 10:00 PM
Tonefactor
email

quote:
"If it were me I would skip the use of the rectifier all together "

And do what? Find a 450 volt battery?

6/2/2000 3:41 AM
Nate S.
email

Dynamotor

6/2/2000 1:09 PM
michael c
email

thanks gentlemen appreciate the info.  
michael c

6/2/2000 2:24 PM
Trace
email

quote:
"And do what? Find a 450 volt battery? "

Well you could for a tube rectifier or use a solid state rectifier. I happen to prefer a solid state rectifier in a Marshall but that's just my opinion.  

Now what makes you post replies like that anyway??? Are you just hostile or is it your sense of humor and I'm missing it???  

Trace

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>