ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

grid stopper

5/30/2000 10:29 AM
DavidB
email
grid stopper
I want to build a Marhall 50 clone and was wondering everyones opinion about using grid resistors on the OP tubes.I know the old Marshalls didn't have em at all, if the amp runs OK leave em off?  

thanks David  

5/30/2000 12:36 PM
kg
email

yes, use them. anything over 1k will do. the higher the value, the better in terms of protection from oscillations, but your HF may suffer. find a balance you can live with.  

ken  

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/30/2000 8:11 PM
DavidB
email

thanks for the reply,I'll probably go with 1k5 and see how she sounds!  

db  

5/30/2000 8:11 PM
Peter S
email

In my opinion.....they need to be on there. I like to use 5.6k or higher on most of my Marshall clones, and real Marshalls too.  
PS  

5/30/2000 8:15 PM
DavidB
email

Peter,are your clones 50 or 100's ?just wondering what effect increasing the value will have on the tone?  

regards David  

5/30/2000 9:43 PM
R.G.
You can calculate what a grid stopper does to you in terms of frequency response.  

There is a phantom capacitor from the grid of a tube to its cathode, and another from the plate to grid.  
The plate to grid capacitor value acts like a cap that's the voltage gain times bigger in parallel with the grid to cathode capacitance. Both values are usually specified on the tube's data sheet.  

The series grid resistor and the two paralleled parasistic capacitances form a simple RC lowpass filter at the grid.  

For pentodes, the plate-grid capacitance is pretty low - that's one reason the screen grid and suppressor grids are there.  

For 12AX7's, the actual results in circuit are pretty close to what you'd compute with the simple RC filter approximation.  

5/31/2000 2:24 AM
Peter S
email

They are 50 watters......the effect on tone is so slight that it is hard to hear, but it does shave off some of the high frequency buzz when the amp is cranked with a Strat or Tele. At low volumes it's not noticeable and you cant hear any difference with a Les Paul.  
Peter S  

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>