ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

DR QUACK

9/29/2000 8:58 AM
Ben
email
DR QUACK
Yesterday evening,I finished my DR QUACK version with electronic switch (4053)to bypass it .Whow!! that's funky sound !! it works very good. I put my home made superfuzz behind it, that sound also very good.

10/3/2000 8:57 AM
Paul D.
email

Which PCB layout did you use? I've used R.G.'s (at GEO) and I can't get it to work. Probably my own fault - R.G.'s work is usually impeccable whereas my own is often very peccable!  
Cheers.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/3/2000 11:05 AM
Ben
email

I made the DR QUACK on Veroboard.  
Did you red the recommandations from Mark Hammer about the DR QUACK?  
What's the value of the feedback resistor on the enveloppe detector? It should be minimum 2M2.  
I used a NE5532, and for the transistor a BC557B.  
Don't forget that the incoming signal must be strong enough to be detect by the enveloppe detector.  

Good luck

10/3/2000 11:13 AM
Ben
email

Sorry, the transistor is a BC547B(NPN device) and not BC557B(PNP device)

10/3/2000 2:54 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Almost ANY npn transistor can be used; 2N3904, 2N5088, etc.  

Not sure how you made yours, but I failed to recognize until late in the game that RG's PC-layout was for press-and-peel transfers. Because of how these are used, the layout is the OPPOSITE of what you would normally see in a hobby magazine (which would assume either photo-sensitive board or hand-drawn resist patterns). It ended up being possible to reverse the relevent components (including turning the dual op-amp upside down and bending all the pins the other way), at which point it worked just fine. Given how easy the board is to make, it may just be easier to make another one properly....assuming that you were as stupid as I was. Bear in mind that the reversed PC-mask problem may lead to transistors being oriented the wrong way. This will surely impair function of the device.  

The recommendation about the feedback resistor value is to be taken seriously; 470k will likely not provide enough gain unless you are feeding the DQ with a line level signal.

10/4/2000 11:09 AM
Paul D.
email

I did use Mark's advice - 2.7 Meg feedback resistor, etc., & I think I got the PCB orientation right - I'll double check that tomorrow. I've made a mess of the board resoldering - maybe I'll start again from scratch. Thanks for your input.  
Cheers.

10/5/2000 9:34 AM
Ken
email

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly does the DR Quack do?  
Cheers Ken.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>