ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

univibe pwer questions

8/12/2000 7:02 PM
morgan
email
univibe pwer questions
Well i am finallyu gonna start on my vibe clone with the RTS board from goefex.  
I have some questions though  
IT says to use a wall wart for the power supply but i was wondering if i can use a transformaer and wire it inside the enclosure and have a normal 2 or 3 prong cord.  
What transormer can i use?(mouser stock number?)  
How do i wire and do i have to run the transforer through anything.  
my second question is how do i wire the borad for the power?  
IT says do not groung either side, do this mean run positive into both sides or what? I am unclear of what to do  

thanks for all the help

8/12/2000 9:38 PM
R.G.
Morgan, this is not meant as criticism but rather is a deeply founded concern for your health. You need someone experienced in wiring AC power to help you through wiring this up. AC power in the box can be deadly with simple wiring mistakes.  

Yes, it is possible to do what you describe. Any transformer with 15-20VAC at 60ma or more will work, so think small and cheap. The wiring to the board is trivial - just take the two wires from the secondary and wire them directly into the two pad in the board. No rectifiers, no filters or anything else off the board. It's designed to take the transformer secondary directly, pure AC, which is why the instruction say not to ground either side.  

But please, please don't try to do the primary AC wiring without help. And please do consider using a wall wart - it completely removes many safety problems.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/12/2000 9:59 PM
Morgan
ok i think i will use a wall wart until i get someone to help me wire the transformer  

thanks

Page 1 of 1