ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

can i substitute fets in the shaka3?

6/22/2000 10:35 PM
Rob P
email
can i substitute fets in the shaka3?
hi everyone,  

this is my first time posting on aron's forum, i've been reading it a bit recently, so now i'm getting into the action.  

i'm just about to build a shaka 3 and hot tubes preamp (among other things - i've been neglecting pedal building for a while) The problem is that i can't readily acquire j201 fets (or irf510 mosfets, for that matter) being in Australia, i have a more limited access to electronics stuff, and i don't really want to go mail order for little stuff.  

So, can i substitute other fets for these? like 2n5484, 2n5459, mpf102? etc... what about the mosfets?  

any opinions are greatly appreciated.  

Rob

6/22/2000 11:34 PM
aron
email

Rob,  

Check out my common asked questions. It lists a bunch of FETs that you can try in the Mini-Booster circuit (which is at the end of the Shaka 3).

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/23/2000 12:25 AM
Rob P
email

Thanks aron, i'll give it a look.  

Rob

6/23/2000 3:23 AM
MikeB
email

Rob  

You can get IRF510s from www.wiltronics.com.au (I got some for some MOSFET-booster pedals) and J201s can be had from Farnell or possibly Altronics.  

MikeB

6/23/2000 3:44 AM
Rob P
email

Thanks mike,  

i haven't seen wiltronics before, i'll check them out. Altronics doesn't have J201's, i'm fairly sure, i might go for the mpf102's unless someone tells me they sound terrible. Farnell has them, and so does RS, but i'd have to get them delivered, which is a bit more expensive than i was planning. I think you have to be a company to get stuff from Farnell, don't you?  

Rob

6/23/2000 6:44 AM
MikeB
email

My local Altronics does have J201s, although the guy said they have never actually sold any (the box was still full!). If you like, email me separately and I can post you some (they are AUS$2 each).  

Farnell will sell direct to individuals if you pre-pay with credit card.  

MikeB

6/23/2000 1:03 PM
synthbum
So you need someone to tell you that the MPF102's don't cut it in the Shaka 3? I can do so easily.  

I bought, installed, and tried MPF102's in my Geofex PCB and I knew right off that it wasn't right. It sounded wimpy and anemic - even when turned up full. So I went and ordered a quantity of J201's from radioshack.com and installed some. My Shaka Braddah 3 immediately turned into King-Kong - powerful, muscular, and LOUD. Big Difference!  

Trust me - bail on those MPF's. Mine are now sitting unemployed in a static bag waiting to be used in a less critical circuit.  

Also, IMHO...
  • IRF520's rip - Far superior to Ge diodes only. Silicone glue them to the box floor if necessary and jumper.  
  • Put the mid-notch resistor(s) (22K, 47K) on small dpdt's to switch them in/out.

synthbum

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>