ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Fuzz Face - without the Face

8/21/2000 8:40 PM
Man o'Blues Fuzz Face - without the Face
I like the fuzz face, but its too bulky to carry around and would take up too much space on a pedal board. Does anyone make a copy of this pedal (exact same circuitry) but in a smaller box?  

Thanks in advance for any replies.

8/21/2000 8:55 PM
PTJohn
email

I bet you can find a good one at the GEO site, if not R.G. may have some good suggestions as to building one. Or, you could buy one and put it into a BUD box. I've done that one, and it works fine.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/22/2000 12:44 AM
Frank Clarke
email

PNP or NPN?.  
I have an excellent PE Face Lift which has one extra component to the PNP. They do an NPN version.  
Other ideas:  
JH-2S JIMI HENDRIX CLASSIC FUZZ http://www.jimdunlop.com/electronics/jimi.html  
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

8/22/2000 2:34 AM
Steve Daniels (Small Bear Electronics)
email

You may want to look at my Bear Face:  

Http://home.netcom.com/~smallbearelec

8/22/2000 2:51 AM
Gord
....or just get a used reissue (they do sound good), get a hammond 1590B box, do some drilling, and move the parts into the new box. Not a bad idea when you consider that it will still cost a fraction as much as a boutique box. AFAIK, Fulltone uses the same transistors as the Dunlop reissues.  

Gord

8/23/2000 3:16 AM
Daniel R. Haney
email

Gord wrote:  

quote:
"AFAIK, Fulltone uses the same transistors as the Dunlop reissues."

Not quite. Fuller does the same thing we do - sift moldy PNP germaniums for low leakage and the right gain spread.  

The Dunlops use unknowns rebranded as NKT-275 and will be happy to sell them to you for $40/pair, i.e., they don't want to sell them to you.  

Between Steve Daniels, RG, and friends, we can all toss together a dynamite FF clone without any help from Dunlop.  

-drh  
--

8/23/2000 2:59 AM
Andrew
email

I probably could get the circuitlry into a smaller box if you sent me the schematic.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>