ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Good Distortion Box?

7/14/2000 7:01 AM
BB
email
Good Distortion Box?
Looking for a good distortion box without the nasal sound that most of them have, any ideas maybe theres something out there i can build my self???? or buy??? I've owned lots of distortion boxes and really never have found one i liked, anyone else have this problem? BB

7/14/2000 8:53 AM
aron
email

BB,  

You sound a lot like I was; searching for the right pedal.  

You may want to consider making your own or tweaking what you do have.  

Check out my web page:  

http://www.ampage.org/stompbox/  

and check out the forum if you have questions.  

Good Luck!  

Aron

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/14/2000 9:18 AM
JD
email

BB,  

I have the opposite problem...I like them all. Why is that a problem? I never know which one I should be using :)  

I once heard that Thelonious Monk (jazz pianist) liked to play pianos that were way out of tune or had keys that didn't work, just to play with it until he could make it sound good. I'm no Monk, but I think its an interesting perspective relating to fuzz/distortion. I have a Dunlop Vox Tonebender reissue, ugliest fuzz you ever heard, but I can't bring myself to rebuild it. Someday I might need just that sound!  

Way off subject, but I couldn't help but post.  

BTW - do you consider a BMP to be nasal?  

JD

7/14/2000 12:18 PM
Brad
email

Me and JD think alike! Nothing is the best for everything, but the most unlikely think you can find to plug in....in the most unlikely combinations...into the most unlikely amp...might be just what the tune is begging for. BUT...it's hard to take ALL your toys on stage with you...so most people need a good compromise.  
Brad:)

7/14/2000 11:33 PM
Frank Clarke
email

I never met a fuzzbox I didn't like :).

7/15/2000 3:59 AM
Eric H
email

quote:
"I never met a fuzzbox I didn't like :)."

Apparently you haven't met my ex-wife.

7/14/2000 12:22 PM
zakk
email

It always depends on the tone you want  
EVH/SRV Hendrix or Pantera-all different  
What sort of guitar and amp setup do you have?

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>