ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tone Bender variation

6/14/2000 1:29 AM
marrk
email
Tone Bender variation
I have been following some comments that the mark 2 professional didn't sound the way some people expected. I spent a good time with mine and came up with part values that worked for me. My pedal starts to distort where my fuzz face leaves off. Because it responds so well to the guitar volume, it is easy to dial in less fuzz. I used PNP germaniums and drew up a schematic. Gus, and Jack will notice their influences on my selections. The tone is very much like a fuzz face, but does not get mushy as you increase the fuzz knob. The notes remain clear. Full chords can be played and every note is audible. Even Maj9/dom7 etc. If you'd like to see the schematic, post a note and I'll email them out together. If anyone wants to post it on their page feel free to do so. Mark

6/14/2000 1:46 AM
jason
email

marrk,  
I'd like to see the schematic. I built a mkII and a 69 clone at the same time and way prefer the 69. Used correctly matched PNP germaniums and all. The mkII has plenty of sustain but chords are useless with it. I actually prefer the 3 knob tonebender over the mkII. Any pointers to getting a better tone(tried all the trimmer suggestions) would be much appreciated.  
Thanks for your willingness to share,  
jason

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/14/2000 2:00 AM
Gord
email

Marrk,  

I would love to see the schematic. I also think the FF is better. I'll post my mods on it soon, see how they compare. Thanks.  

Gord

6/14/2000 2:04 AM
aron
email

Mark, Where are you reading these comments? I really like mine but I did make a few modifications. I'd like to see your schematic. Aron

6/14/2000 3:48 AM
chuck
email

id like to see your schematic too. i was just about ready to build the mk-II w/ the trimmer mods in it. expecting it to sound better then the 3 knob one from what ive been told.  
thanks.  
chuck

6/14/2000 5:44 AM
aron
email

My schematic? It's up on my page. look for the Hot Fuzz: http://www.firebottle.net/stompbox/schematics.html I can't speak for others, but I love my version with the trimmer mods. I think it's leaps better than the Fuzz Faces I have built and I have built a bunch of them. I imagine it would be so easy to bypass the input transistor and get a "normal" Fuzz Face out of the same board. In fact, R.G. is making a super board that can do the Hot Fuzz and a super Fuzz Face all on the same board. FWIW, I really like it a lot better than the 3 knob tone bender. Aron

6/14/2000 9:10 PM
marrk
email

The other Tonebender sounds more like the "Aqualung" (Jethro Tull)/Early Zep sound to me. Very cool, but not the pedal I reach for first. My favorite fuzz is still the Fuzz Face. I used 2n527's in the TBII. Q1 reads 75 with my meter, Q2 and Q3 read about 90 each. Aron, I tried your mods and enjoyed them. The thing really screams. I shot for a fat, dark, sustaining sound and think I achieved it. The drawing is on the way. Mark

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>