ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Voodoo Lab Microvibe circuits?

5/25/2000 6:18 AM
bill m.
email
Voodoo Lab Microvibe circuits?
would love some quick advice:
*does the old Microvibe with NO LED have the SAME circuit as the current one WITH the LED?
*does the vibe mean "vibrato"?(what does the pedal DO? can i get a decent Leslie-like sound?)
thanks!!!! bill(on verge of purchase)

5/25/2000 9:58 PM
Roger
email

I can't answer the question about whether they are the same circuit, but the Microvibe is a Univibe pedal, so therefore, it's sort of a vibtrato, although more like a phasor. It's designed to sound like a Leslie, but it sounds like a Univibe.... you know what I mean? Hendrix in a box basically.  

Best leslie in a stompbox IMHO is the TC CHorus Flanger. Not cheap, but gives good leslie.  

Roger

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/26/2000 2:55 AM
bill m.
thanks for the reply, roger.  
btw, which hendrix songs employ the univibe sound?  
any microvibe users pleased/not?  
thanks, bill

5/26/2000 3:00 AM
bill m.
i should add i'm playing a blues gig:  
basically fender and gibson guitars into BF fender amps--with old ibanez UE-300 multi-pedal sometimes, or Fulldrive II and now Microvibe for a chorus-leslie-vibrato change of pace.  
sound OK?  
any Microvibe users happy/not?  
thanks, bill

5/26/2000 2:46 PM
jason
email

Machine Gun  
jason

5/26/2000 3:26 PM
Hi
email

I suppose this is more accurately termed a type of chorus sound, the sort of thing you hear in Machine Gun (as jason said), or New Rising Sun, etc. As far as the Voodoo Labds microvibe, it doesn't have the vibrato effect of the univibe, but does the light-driven chorus thing well. I had one, and although I liked the internal trimpot to adjust the tone, it was hard to get the way I wanted. It had a harsh sound on the treble end of it's sweep if combined with distortion, and I had a hard time getting the tone to where it wasn't too trebly. If I got it where one end of the sweep wasn't really trebly, there just wouldn't be much difference at all. So I had to get it to what I considered the best compromise I could. Since I had another chorus per se I liked better I traded it off. OTOH, months later, listening to some recordings I had done with the microvibe, I realized it sounded GREAT the way I had it set. One of those things, I guess; it was a great device, I just didn't hear with my ears in front of the amp what it sounded like, really. I've noticed that things like this device, different pickups, etc., sound different from a perspective other than 10 feet from an amp! So, the bottom line is, I wasn't totally happy with it, but I could have been if I'd waited a little before I decided to get rid of it. Will I buy another one? Probably not, I'd probably save up for a Fulltone dejaVibe, but for the money the Voodoo Lab unit is an fine product.  
Hi

5/27/2000 2:16 AM
bill m.
email
Re: Voodoo Lab Microvibe/ compression ?
OK, guys--Band of Gypsies coming out for a listen after some years. thanks for your comments, hi. i've done the deal now, don't know how i ever got into high end (used) effects.... :) thanks for the tip on the trimpot! any ideas on how to spot the little devil when i get in there in a week or so? btw, what was the OTHER chorus? and does anyone use compression? thing i like about the old Ibanez UE-300 is it's got compression, tube screamer, and stereo chorus--all sounding pretty damn good. a problem: our lead guitarist's ears hear the chorus, which i use deep and slow, as out-of-tune? so it irks him, while i'm thinking it adds some really nice swirl to handful of songs.... further comments appreciated.bill

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>