ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Washburn WRB-46

5/17/2000 3:45 PM
Graywater
email
Washburn WRB-46
Folk,  

Against my better judgement I agreed to look at a friend's Washburn WRB-46 "Rock Bottom Bass Signal Processor" whose symptoms are: complete lack of output (no hiss, nottin') while appearing to have "normal" power supply voltages and no apparent pc board cracks or bad solder joints. Anyone out there have experience with these units or a schematic? Thanks  

GW

5/17/2000 4:09 PM
Gus
email

Never saw one but what IC's are used maybe the FET? switching is bad(4066,4016 cmos). Or check the effect loop jacks If it uses the cheap black plastic solder to board type sometimes the pins break and the signal does not pass thur(fixed a SVT pro preamp that had this problem). What is the PS +15,-15, and 5v???? 5v If it is digital is a guess.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/17/2000 6:36 PM
Graywater
email

Gus,  

Thanks for the reply. Usually I don't fool with any digital effects, only guitar amp repairs so I have checked as many of the obvious itemsyou suggested, such as the cheap plastic jacks, but what I really need is a schematic to determine the circuit paths through the numerous ICs - I could never recover my time if I were to attempt to diagram it out and I suspect that I'll never work on another - thanks again.  

GW

5/17/2000 8:24 PM
Gus
email

One thing you can try that takes along time is resoldering all the pads or a small part of the board, Sometimes on multlayer boards the solder does not flow all the way up thur the pad(works for a while and then stops) I think the board get run thur the soldering stage to fast. I would only do this if it was my own.

5/18/2000 1:52 PM
Graywater
email

Gus,  

Thanks for your follow-up reply - this is a single side single board design and I did a quick solder pad inspection/remelt. I make part of my living repairing guitar amps, etc., and I have to determine when a piece of equipment will absorb more time than my bench fee reimburses me for and this unit is at the stage that only the presence of a schematic would justify more time. Unfortunately, this is too often true with effects and this is why I don't fool with them (took about 15 minutes to remove all of the screws, jacks, knobs, etc. just to get at the foil side of the circuit board).  

Again, appreciate your help.  

GW

Page 1 of 1