ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Anybody tried Marshall Bluesbreaker II?

3/30/2000 8:28 PM
Jim S.
email
Anybody tried Marshall Bluesbreaker II?
For around 80 bucks, I was thinking of just going ahead and ordering one without hearing it, since they're supposed to be very good. I've looked at some reviews on Harmony Central, but most are not very descriptive of the sounds it can produce. Has anyone tried or bought one of these shiny metallic boxes? What are the qualities of the distortion tones? Does the inherent tone of the guitar still come through? Is there any significant loss of bass frequencies? Does the sound clean up well when reducing the guitar's volume control?  

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

3/31/2000 11:09 AM
Jim Radmer
email
Oh yes!
I got mine used for $50 (Denmark) and I think it is the best overdrive pedal I have EVER tried.  

It is fat and creamy, even on max. gain. Still it has that full and open sound I like so much. No midrange "honk", just a lot of blues!  

Is has more gain than my BB clone and it is more creamy and perhaps a little compressed in tone.  

The boost mode has a lot of volume. I don't use it (yet).

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/31/2000 3:31 PM
Eric H
email

"Is has more gain than my BB clone and it is more creamy and perhaps a little compressed in tone."  

Ok Jim, you gonna look inside and tell us the differences between your clone and the new one :>) please...  

-Eric

3/31/2000 5:16 PM
Jim Radmer
email

>Ok Jim, you gonna look inside and tell us the >differences between your clone and the new >one :>) please...  

Damn, I knew this would happen!  

It sooo new and shiny, I would like to try it just a few times before opening it :-D  

4/10/2000 5:58 PM
Mitch
email
Re: Anybody tried Marshall Bluesbreaker II?
FYI,  
Guitar center is putting the new Marshall pedals on a clearance sale as I was told by one of there employees. Aparently these pedals are not selling very well. If interested ,call your local GC and see if this is true for all the GC stores.

4/10/2000 7:50 PM
John Greene
email

I got a flyer from GC last week that said they were $49.  

--johng

4/11/2000 7:41 PM
Gil Ayan
email
Right Price? - Re: Anybody tried Marshall Bluesbreaker II?
quote:
"I got a flyer from GC last week that said they were $49.  

--johng"

I did check with Guitar Center, and the flyer for the "April sale." The price of the BBII is shown as $79... I haven't tried the BBII, but for $49, I would buy one; having one of the original ones, if the Mk II is as good, it is the only pedal I have really used and been happy with.  

Gil

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>