ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

J and H pedal

1/14/2000 11:24 AM
Chris J and H pedal
Anyone have an opinion regarding the Visual Sound J and H Pedal? I've read some glowing reviews, but would like an "expert" opinion!  

Cheers,  

Chris

1/14/2000 12:33 PM
Lee
email

I think this has been covered both here and on WeberVST. Consensus seems to be that the Jekyll side is a decent emulation of the TS-808 and the Hyde side is more of a gain monster. Most reviewers have said they prefer the J side. I like it because you can get two very different sounds with one pedal. The Hyde side has two tone controls and also offers lots of sounds.  

I personally think all this fuss over distortion pedals is kind of silly because the subtle tonal differences that may exist will get swallowed up in the mix anyway. However, if you've got the disposal income, it is fun to try them all out. And with Ebay, you can unload anything without too great a loss.  

In the end, your "expert opinion" is the only one that counts.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/14/2000 1:03 PM
Chris
Thanks Lee for your reply

1/14/2000 8:25 PM
pHiLtHy
email

Chris,  

I tried one out for a couple weeks and thought it was pretty nice. In fact if I didn't already have a truck load of stompboxes I probably would've kept it.  

Pretty well thought out design to... lots of tonal possibilities and switching.  

Does the tubescreamer thing real well and the H side is pretty flexible... I really like the sweepable tone control.  

On the down side, I thought it had a little more noise and hiss then the OD-3 and DS-1 that I'm currently using but not that bad.  

Something else to consider is the price... Mars was selling these for $109 here in Dallas which is an incredible bargain for a new pedal when you see what reissue TS-9's are retailing for.  

just my .02 and 1/2 :-)  

pHiLtHy

1/17/2000 10:46 AM
Chris
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitaly going to try out one of these things. Problem is that they're a little hard to come by here in the UK!

Page 1 of 1